Witch Hazel - benefits or is it necessary?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Stroker, Feb 19, 2010.

1. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

I've played with various witch hazel hybrids. I start with Dickinson's or even generic witch hazel:

Half and Half with Osage Rub = mentholated WH
    Half and Half with Aloe Vera Gell = Aloefied WH

The aloe or glycerin won't add much smell as they are pretty scent nuetral. The mentholated version is a face freezing delight. My next experiment will be a mix of WH, Glycerin and Murray and Lanman's Rose Cologne.

2. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

+1 As almost always I agree with the Gemocrat...scent is gone so quickly, not a factor...My Dad used to pour a little alum-powder into a bottle of Witch-Hazel and shake before each use...kind-a like Witch-Hazel on steroids :)) Personally I dig the smell, like a time machine, it takes me back...

3. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Plain old drug store Witch Hazel has a great scent, though not quite as nice as Dickenson's. I thought Witch Hazel smelled nasty at first, but after a while I learned to look forward to it and then to really enjoy it. Thayers Peach and Rose are both in my lineup, but I still like the way smells straight up without any special froufrou.

4. David6Eagle

David6Eagle New Member

Try adding menthol to witchhazel for a little kick.

5. Gunky

Gunky Member

It is a good AS, though, I felt my face need something with a little more zing. I'm a splash guy now

6. DonR

DonR Active Member

Glycerin can be picked up at Walmart. I found it alongside the antiseptics and bandages.

7. cammo

cammo New Member

As part of an unrelated order of Closys mouthwash (something I can't get in Canada and thus need to order from an American pharmacy website), I ordered some witch hazel, glycerine, and wintergreen essential oil. I'm going to try to use these together to make a refreshing aftershave. Do any of you have recommendations for the optimal mix of ingredients? I'm planning to just use a little hand sanitizer squeeze bottle for mixing/storing.

8. greenhorn

greenhorn New Member

I just received my Thayer's sampler from SRD curious to try out the different scents hopefully I find one I like. The set was 9 2oz bottles.:D

9. bradsmokes

bradsmokes New Member

sounds good to me ::sick007

10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I like the sound of that...what kind of menthol ?

11. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

I cut it half and half with Osage Rub. Plenty of menthol, works well.

12. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

I always used alcohol based AS when I didn't know any better. Now I'm addicted to Ogallala Bay Rum AS, which uses WH and does not burn my sensitive skin. Feels great and my wife likes the scent.

13. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Walmart, Target, and the chain drugstores carry witchhazel which can also be used for other mild abrasions.

14. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

::lamThe sandlewood and glycerine added to WH sounds like a great idea; anyone tried adding a few drops of old colone which is sitting around or is that too much alcohol?

15. TSOE2001

TSOE2001 New Member

Thanks for the recipe - I used it and I like it. The smell goes away soooo quickly.

I added an essential oil for fragrance and it goes away very quickly. For me, the scent thing is just a waste of money.