Witch Hazel users..how do you apply?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by MikekiM, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

Thayers Witch Hazel with Aloe, applied from a spray bottle. Works pretty well for me, it just didn't work directly in the hand. M Bomb Hazel sounds like a good thing to me, I'll have to pick some up sometime!

2. blazeadam

blazeadam Active Member

I usually use cotton balls. Never thought of just splashing it on, might have to try it.

3. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

I haven't tried WH yet... what are some of the favorite scents among you guys

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

5. cpool222

Do you just use the regular witch hazel like you see in the drug stores?

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Yes. I bought one bottle of Dickinson's and used it up. I now just refill that bottle with the store brand because it is easier to apply from that bottle.

7. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Actually if you buy the regular CVS brand, for instance, it has a rather unpleasant medicinal smell. At least to me it does. I went with Thayer's unscented and it is just as if you were putting water on your face - no smell at all.

8. qwkdtsn

qwkdtsn Member

The regular witch hazel from the drug stores smells pretty bad and has a high alcohol content, which stings and dries out your skin. I definitely recommend Thayer's, it should be available at GNC. I bought the Cucumber witch hazel and it has a very pleasant light cucumber smell that disappears as it dries on your face, and it doesn't sting at all.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have, use, and like Dickenson's and Thayer's Rose Petal w/ Aloe.
    The rose scent of the Thayer's is light, but I like it, as does Becky. I'll use it alone.
    The Dickenson's really doesn't have a scent. I always follow up with a scented AS or cologne.

10. cpool222

Where do you find those?

11. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I don't know if you have ever read the classic barber manuals, they illustrate well the massages for the face and head , facials, shampoo, not to mention straight shaving, barbers used to offer that were astounding in number and standard. My barber is young and talented but POOR in service even keeping his equipment clean makes him sigh.

If a young barber just brought back some of the older practices like using talcum on the brush, using a nice smelling aftershave, offering a pine tar shampoo, a spray of cologne, etc. it would be novel because todays customers have never seen it or heard of it and would be astounded. Even using a Oster massager or brushing the customers clothes post shave as barber shop porters used to would set a young barber apart. I've asked my young barber why he doesn't sell aftershave or shaving stuff to clients who don't even know the variety exists, answer, none at all , he has massive talent but total ignorance of the greatness of what barbering was. That straight shave and learning the old arts of barbering to me a young barber would then really be a Master Barber.

Brian and Bird Lives like this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Local ShopRite grocery store.

13. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I always just splash liberally....I think adding alum powder is a great idea...but here in Turkey everything is too hard to get...Stingraysrock/Jeff was doing that. I keep forgetting to ask him if he still digs it...
    I didn't know about Thayer's Lavender and Rose...Sounds great!! As it is I've always liked unscented and followed with cologne...

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Here in Turkey barbers have to do all that...and the fire in the ears...everything....If a barber provided that kind of service in the States, they most certainly would develop a loyal following, no question....Just like here the gasoline attendants still pump your gas and wash your windows check air...everything...its like time-warp...

Its funny to see American tourist getting angry cause the barber was massaging their shoulders and head...lol...and since they don't speak Turkish they don't know how to ask the barber WTH he is doing...When I see this I step in and ask if they need help...Always turns out they dig it once they know its standard procedure....lol

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. Michael519

Michael519 Member

I apply Witch Hazel with cotton balls or pads, usually whatever is lying around. I ditched my old alchohol-based drugstore astringent in favor of the stuff.

16. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Lloyd funny observations. I have seen the Turkish barbers on youtube and even one there who does Turkish barbering in London. He has taken traditional Turkish barbering and put it in a nice London shop. In this video the English client does indeed look nervous getting a massage at the end of the shave.

17. Brian

Brian Active Member

Even with me being still in school, I have 3 dusters, one for the chair, one for the neck and shoulders, and one with talcum (You would be suprised how many use the same one for the chair, then use it on their next customer without a seconds thought). I went to our local supply house and offer not only the basic Jerris, but also Bay Rum, Pinaud, and Tiger. After each cut, I use either a Valet duster or a lint roller to remove any loose hair or just lint from my customers. We use only Paul Mitchell at the school, but that will expand once my shop is opened. We are in such a rush today we rarely take time to relax and let ourselves be pampered. Going to a barber shop or salon is one of the few times we should just accept the little extra treatment and enjoy. But we also must remember we get what we pay for. If you go to a chop shop at your local Wal-Mart of Not So Fantastic Sams, we see the old saying "you get what you pay for". By giving you the extra time to pamper you, your barber is missing out on another 1 to 2 cuts, so the prices raise to componsate that. You may think like I once did, $10.00 a cut is a fair price for a hair cut. But now that I am learning that $10.00 goes for his building rent, insurance, lights, the cable and magazines and then his supplies he uses to keep us looking good. Not to mention that, he might be busy when we walk in at 5, but the shop is almost dead the rest of the day, there is a reason that barbering is a fading art. Salons charge $30.00 and up for a cut and style, plus sell mani, and pedi's to our fairer sexed partners to help lighten our wallets. In turn if we hope to keep our Men Only area barber shops that little piece of a man cave where we are not forced to smell chemicals, hear of babies, and be ignored while the stylist talks to her "Lady" friends as she gives you the cut or style she wants and not what you asked for, we must be willing to pay a little more so we can insure our Barbers stay open. For those who are looking to be pampered, check out the Danburry Barber Shop, in Provo, UT. He does it up right, and makes you look good while doing it.

Williams Warrior likes this.
  18. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I agree with your observations.

My barber was paying $8 for a single pack of Dorco's at Walgreens for the blades he used on customers I showed him the shaving vendors who sell a 100 for $8. He'll go to a local barber supply and spend $10 for a 15 oz bottle of aftershave instead of going online and getting a gallon for $30, so in his particular case he shoots himself in his foot but his hair cut is still $20 . You know like I do the extras cost more money in the old barber shop and the old manuals detailed how the barber should sell the customers on the extras so of course I think aftershave etc should be computed in the final cost of a cut and it won't be $10 , it shouldn't be if the barber needs to eat. Obviously a head massage or facial is a service warranting a separate cost, thats the way it was done, thats why paper checks were used in old barber shops they tallied what multiple services the customer got , he simply handed it to the cashier .But todays guy doesn't even know barbers did facials or shampooing, that whole culture has to be reintroduced to customers and many would enjoy it I think. If a barber offered a typical member of TSD a shampoo with traditional Pine Tar and a head massage with Osage that member would take itl. Its interesting to see the old photos and how the old barbers sold cigars, gum, razor blades , shampoo , aftershaves and these sales were a big part of paying his expenses to keep the shop open.

I think the trend has reversed and traditional barbering is once again on the upswing , whats being done is to take the old barber shop and its man cave and nostalgia and make it a retro attraction. V's barber shop franchise outta Arizona seems to exemplify this , but from coast to coast the traditional barber shop is being made trendy . This is a good good thing for young barbers and a good time of opportunity for them .

Brian likes this.
  19. m_conley

m_conley Member

Find me a barber that lets me enjoy a cigar while getting a shampoo, trim and a Shave and I'd be there weekly.:D I'd even buy the cigars from him. Hell, I'd buy him a cigar. I'd be willing to spend around $40 for this service weekly. You'd have to provide a couch or two so that the patrons could finish their cigars. They are bound to last longer then the services the barber provides

Hanzo likes this.
  20. qwkdtsn

qwkdtsn Member

Boy tell me about it. If I could sit in a leather chair and enjoy a beer and cigar while waiting my turn for a shampoo, trim, shave with all the fixings I would be there weekly too!
    This reminds me of a video I recently saw, this is how you get gasoline in Japan (and this seems to be the norm rather than the exception from what I've heard):

Now that's service!
    I got a haircut today, actually. I live in Puerto Rico where the guys are VERY big on their haircuts. Being 'edged up' is extremely popular and guys come in every other day and pay the barber about $2-3 to get the edges of their haircut shaved. Other guys come in and have their eyebrows shaped. The barbers here are good about using a nice smelling lotion around the edges prior to shaving (around the ears, neck, sideburns) and Pinaud talc dusting afterwards. I have had $25 haircuts that included hot lather, a hot towel, etc. before having the edges shaved and it's those sort of things that do make traditional barbershops appealing. I'd like to see a resurgence of that sort of treatment.

Hanzo likes this.