Witch Hazel Users

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Ryan B, Jan 24, 2013.

1. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Had one of those rare ideas that actually sort of works out. I'm not too crazy about the tequila-like smell of that T.N. Dickenson's Witch Hazel. Right after using it the other day, I went downstairs and ate an orange for breakfast and the light bulb over my head went on. I took the orange peel and stuffed it in the Witch Hazel bottle and shook it up. Tried it this morning and it's not half bad now. I will call it "Tequila Sunrise" :)

2. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

I just use Kroger's brand; it used to be under a dollar and now it is $1.50 or thereabouts. doug

3. FireLion1983

FireLion1983 Member

Questions! Thanks in advance for any responses! ;)

1) Should it go on after a cold-water rinse and before any other product?
    2) The skin on my face is very dry/sensitive in the winter months up here in Bend, where the climate is that of "High Desert" - needless to say, I need to moisturize after a shower/shave. Would this dry my skin out too much?
    3) As an AS process, would WH then moisturizer be suitable?
    4) I still have yet to understand the purpose of a liquid AS or balm. Do they act as moisturizers?

4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I use it after the cold water rinse and before a balm (if I use one). The WH reduces irritation and doesn't dry your skin or burn like an alcohol based AS.

5. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Great idea, I'm getting the salt and lime wedges ready for today's shave

feeltheburn likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  7. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

I use it after the cold rinse. I have used the WH then a ASB like Nivea when it is cold and dry out. This has worked out just fine so to #3 I would say it would be perfectly suitable, it may not work for your skin so you'll basically have to try it and find out. I wouldn't anticipate any problems.

AFAIK, AS and ASB generally work as an astringent to sort of tighten everything up, to disinfect and/or to moisturize, depending on the product involve.

srpavko likes this.
  8. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I've used the store brand WH but find them to be a little too drying and not very appealing to the nose. I've never liked the smell of the T.N. Dickinson WH and came close to gagging the first few times I used it. I really like the Thayer Alcohol Free Rose Petal & Aloe WH. It doesn't smell funky like regular WH and doesn't burn at all. Very nice product but hard to find up here so I've had to order it off Amazon but free shipping limits the options.

JRod22 likes this.
  9. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

I had Nancy Boy throw in a bottle of their Balancing Facial Toner when I ordered some shave cream several months ago.
    I like the stuff a lot.
    It lists Witch Hazel as one of its ingredients and I've been using it in leiu of WH.

Edit:
    I just went online and saw what NB is charging. I doubt I'll be replacing the Balancing Facial Toner when I run out, yikes!

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The TSD After Shave Milk http://www.theshavedenshop.com/index.php?_a=product&product_id=126 contains witch hazel as well and may be a good substitute.

11. jollyr

jollyr New Member

+1
    My first impression of it's smell was that of burnt newsprint, although very mild and it fades rapidly.

12. FireLion1983

FireLion1983 Member

My unscented, alcohol-free Thayers should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to see how that works over simply using cold water as an astringent. As I normally wash my entire face, shave, then apply cold water and moisturizer over my entire face, would it be safe to assume Thayers could be applied to the entire face, as well?

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yeah, it can be. Most shavers just apply it the the shaved areas as a splash, but women (and probably men, too) use it as a skin tightener and wrinkle reducer...presumably.

14. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I used my wife's Thayers witchhazel with aloe today after my touch up shave and then my after shave balm. Helped a little bit I think.

15. JayPo007

JayPo007 Well-Known Member

Hey Ryan, I normally use Thayer's Super W H or lavender if my wife left it out on the counter. Splashes normally bother my insanely sensitive neck but 75% of the time I'm okay if I use W H before hand. For having alcohol in it the Floid Blue, Black, and Vigoroso (sp?) they never gave me that alcohol bite. All fine products for sure. I do think the W H helps tighten up your pours and seal any weepers before the after splash can get in there and cause irritation.

Ryan B and PLANofMAN like this.
  16. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

Yep. Kinda preps the skin for the aftershave after the rinsing off of the soap. LOVE the rose, cucumber, & lavender. Good stuff ;) 1 bottle lasts me about 6 months. Lasts a good while & cost isn't really a factor because of how long it lasts.

Ryan B likes this.