Witch Hazel

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Art Vandelay, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

How do you apply Witch Hazel? I just picked up a bottle and applied it to a dry wash rag, then rubbed it on (after my shave), but I'm not sure how much to use. And does that bad smell stick around long? :sick007 I used another aftershave to cover it up. I figure if I have to do that there's no point in using the WH in the first place.

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

WH is a good choice for an astringent aftershave. Just splash it on like any other A/S. The wet paper bag smell will go away once it dries. I mix alum powder with my WH and was it off after it dries.

3. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

Nice to meet you Jeff, my name is Jeff too.:eatdrink004

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Well hello to you too Jeff!

I don't know how I missed you the first time around!

Welcome to TSD! This is the best wet shave board on the planet!

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Back in the day, Dickinson's Witch Hazel , recommended the " Witch Hazel Steam" for barber shop use.

"Open the pores of the face with a very hot towel-then dry and cover with a towel-on this towel pour Dickinson's Yellow Label Witch Hazel-when saturated , cover with several hot towels and allow the soothing , refreshing Witch Hazel to be thoroughly steamed into the pores."

I am quoting directly from Dickinson's but obviously any witch hazel brand can
    be used and many beauty and barber supply brand WH's are more inexpensive.

This is not the definitive way to use WH but a novel one to wetshavers.:)

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. I follow the witch hazel with scented aftershaves for just that, scent. I want to smell good for my wife.

7. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I thought Dickinsons smelled like tequila to be honest, but the smell went away almost immediately. Do yourself a favor and spend a bit more for some Thayers Witchhazel. They have several fragrances all of which are quite nice. Some with alcohol and some without. Can be purchased online or usually at Natural and Whole Foods grocery stores/sections. As for application you just cup your hand, pour a little in and splash it on. Same as any aftershave. Try Thayers. You'll be happy with it.

8. chappys4life

chappys4life Active Member

I use the Thayers with aloe followed with nivea after shave balm. I do notice a faint smell at first then goes away quickly and works well for me.

9. jgkeegan

jgkeegan Member

I use Thayers too, but not with aloe, and follow up in a few minutes with a bay rum

10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

You guys will laugh, but I cannot find witch hazel anywhere here in this city of Montreal!

11. TSasser

TSasser New Member

I also use it like a A/S and just put some in my hand, rub my hands together and rub into my face. It is a great feeling :happy108

I enjoy Thayer's Witch Hazel Astringent because it has less alcohol that the others I have seen :happy088

12. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

I hate the smell. I would recommend Dominica Bay Rum. now thats some good stuff. the lime version is not as good as the plain one.

13. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I mixed my Thayer's aloe witch hazel with Osage Rub, in about a 60/40 mix, as per one of 1OldGI's post. Works a treat, and has a nice menthol tingle.

Jeff I would think it would be available in about any drug store, have you asked a clerk to help you find some?

14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

:happy102 :happy102 Yeah--Bill, they don't know what it's mean witch hazel! :D

15. E-mursed

E-mursed New Member

Unscented Thayers

I use unscented Thayers which I add some Bay Rum oil too.

Best thing to use after a great shave.

16. mcat1906

mcat1906 New Member

I have also been splashing it on like an AS. I then let it dry and follow with what ever AS I’m using that day.

17. chadstar

chadstar Member

I invested in some yesterday and used it with yesterday's shave,before my post shave. i must say it was very soothing but could not wait for the Musty stink to go away.:sick007

18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    go to large supermarket, look for rubbing alcohol. find rubbing alcohol. look above, below, and next to said rubbing alcohol. (at least that's where they keep it at Walmart)

19. Optionseeker

Optionseeker Member

Check out well.ca

They have a good selection of Thayers and free shipping in Canada.

John

20. Mojavered

Mojavered New Member

I find it next to the rubbing alcohol at some drug stores. Try talking to a hair stylist or a barber, they might know where to get it local.