Witch Hazel

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Art Vandelay, Oct 8, 2010.

1. paydepst

paydepst Member

What?!? No witch hazel in Montreal? That is hard to believe.

I've never tried the saturated towel approach, I usually just slap and go like a regular AS. I like using WH as an occasional change of pace.

Has anyone ever tried the scented witch hazels?

2. TimeWeaver

TimeWeaver Member

Seriously? No WH in Montreal?

Perhaps it's called something slightly different in French?
    At any rate, your local drugstore (even Walgreens or CVS or whatever) should have it, in the first aid aisle. May or may not be brand name.
    For pure functionality, the store brand will do. The bottle will look a lot like rubbing alcohol.

I believe there are actually several threads that provide suggestions on modifying generic WH so it is more like a homemade Thayer's or Humphrey's.

Try Wal-Mart. They carry Dickinson's.

Good luck!
    - TimeWeaver

3. blugill

blugill New Member

This to me is the best true Witch Hazel there is !

Attached Files:

4. revtriplep

revtriplep Member

Cotton, Old times are not forgotten

Thayers WHazel splashed on a cotton ball then rubbed on after a shave. Oh yea.:cool:

5. snowbird72

snowbird72 New Member

Crackstar - I couldn't find anything in northern GTA either other than the kind you find under the first aid section at the drug store. Still waiting for my online order to try out the Thayers.

6. snowbird72

snowbird72 New Member

Thanks for the heads up John. I missed that one for my first order but will definitely try it next time. Good to know.

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've seen the Dickenson's at Walmart, but if you compare the ingredients to the generic, they are identical. So I figure I'm not going to pay the extra for the pretty bottle. If I want it to look good I'll put it in a vintage witch hazel or barber's witch hazel bottle.:)

8. rmsharp

rmsharp New Member

SAY VANDELAY! SAY VANDELAY!......sorry..i had to do it whacky097

9. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Just splash on Thayers unscented, followed by Ogallala Limes and Peppercorns.

10. DaveNJ74

DaveNJ74 Member

With my face a little damp from right out of the shower ( thats where I shave ) I splash on Thayer's unscented witch hazel Astringent. After about 5 mins when my face is completely dry, I apply the aftershave. I let my face dry by itself, a towel never touches my face, I read it can dry out your skin.

11. DaveNJ74

DaveNJ74 Member

Art Vandelay?

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Am I misunderstanding this sentence? :confused: You read a towel can dry out your skin? :confused:

13. DaveNJ74

DaveNJ74 Member

Read... pronounced like " red "... the past tense of read. This is why chatting online is confusing. Example: " I read in the newspaper today the President is coming to town. " See, I told my parents my masters degree paid off.

14. Queen of Blades

Gee, using context to understand a sentence. :rolleyes:

How about this? A towel will not dry out your skin. It will however dry your skin.

And, yes, there is a difference.

15. DaveNJ74

DaveNJ74 Member

lol, I meant using the towel on the face to dry it off will also dry the face out by removing the water off if it. That was on a thread from another forum I think. I see my 34 posts are no match for your almost 20,000 , cheers ;)

16. Queen of Blades

Well, you shouldn't believe everything you read.

I can think of many things that will dry your skin out.
    A towel is not one of them.

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Agree.

"Dried out" is very different from "dried off."

18. Queen of Blades

Yep, the point I'm trying to make. Thanks, Steve! :)

Now, if you feel I've been picking on you, Dave (which is what I get from your commenting on our post counts.), you are mistaken. If you hadn't chosen to take the smarmy route (insinuating I can't read a sentence), you would have learned something quicker.

I don't appreciate being insulted, by comments directed at me, making it sound like I didn't go to 3rd grade. That is not the atmosphere we want here.

Now, if you'd like to start over and try to play nice, that'd be great!

19. DaveNJ74

DaveNJ74 Member

Im sorry, I didnt mean to come off like that. Im in my happy place now, I had my coffee finally.

20. Queen of Blades

Coffee makes everything better! :happy088:eatdrink013

Thanks. :)