withdrawn

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by fram773, Mar 14, 2014.

1. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I've been at this a little over a year and I tend to use a razor for about a week at a time. It's not that I need the adjustment anymore. I definitely got some benefit from sticking with a razor even just a few months ago. Now, I probably could switch more often but I like sticking with a razor for a little while. Maybe it's because I like to put a blade in it and just leave it until it's done. Then maybe if that brand of blade is working particularly well in that razor, I'll put another in it and keep going. I still keep notes on how each blade works in each of my razors and before I pull a razor out that I haven't used in a while, I'll check my notes and see if my opinions from a few months ago still hold. Not surprisingly I guess, they sometimes change as my technique continues to improve.

fram773 likes this.
  2. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    No doubt! Though I didn't go the mono-razor route, I found that sticking to one razor for a couple few weeks really helped me appreciate subtleties that I missed by frequent rotation. I think the same applies to brushes and soaps.

If you really want to compare a component of your setup, lock everything in for at least a week and then change a single element. It can be a zen-like epiphany!:yoda

fram773 likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And then it will be five... :signs136:

GDCarrington and fram773 like this.
  4. Batman9402

Batman9402 Active Member

i use a razor for a week but i also dont have enough to make a good rotation yet :)

5. Badger-Face

Badger-Face Well-Known Member

I'm still so new so, it's hard for me to join in on your topics but I can say something here I think.
    For the most part I used the 30 day rule though I still kept buying things lol. But since my wife got me my merkur 1904 I've really stuck with it. Matter fact you just reminded me that maybe I should use one of my other razors for a change. I just love the 1904 so much. It gives me a awesome shave. I thought my black beauty was my razor but, not now. However I haven't used every setting on my BB. I also have two DEs and two SEs that I've never even tried.

6. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Just be careful with that razor. It's made of pot metal. It was my first safety razor and it only lasted 6 months. I dropped it in the sink and the soldered center post screw came off the top plate and got stuck inside the handle.

Badger-Face likes this.
  7. Badger-Face

The 1904? Seems good, heavy and strong but thanks for the heads up. I'll put the death grip on it lol. I wanted the HD but she read this was the same as the HD just with a decorative handle to look like a 1904 Gillette. I hope nothing bad does happen to it cause I sure do like this razor.

8. swarden43

Same head, yes, but a different handle will certainly give a different feel to that head. It changes the center of gravity, thus changing the weight felt at the head. This can result in a requirement to change the angle of attack, and in how the shave feels.

9. Badger-Face

Ok I get it. Well it's my favorite razor so far. It's the only new one I have tried. All my others are vintage. I would still like to try the hd out.

10. swarden43

Most certainly! My first DE was an HD in chrome. I now have one in gold and another chrome with a custom red mallee burl handle. Always get a DFS, and even BBS quite often.

Badger-Face likes this.
  11. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

What does CP stand for? All I got was Micromatic and CP eludes me.

12. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

CP=Clog Pruf. BT=bullet tip

13. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Got it, thanks.

14. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

While I have quite a few razors I do find that I normally stick to one in particular [lately it's been the Utopia with a Personna blade] and every once in a blue moon I'll grab something different out of the medicine cabinet just to mix things up. But usually once I find a razor I like ~I tend to stick with it while the rest collect dust.

What can I say--I am a creature of habit.

maltedmilk likes this.
  15. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Yes, I actually seem to forget.

It has made me not rotate. Not in the traditional manner to spice up every other day.

What I do is that I use a razor for a longish period. Since I got my Weber many months ago I haven't used anything else. I can shave with it blindfolded and in a rush without nicking or burning my skin. The technique with that razor due to the long period of use sits in my hand now and I love it.. great BBS shaves almost every day without effort. What more to ask for?

If I switch up often, the first few shaves are not that great. It can take up to a week for me to adjust to a "new" razor. Hence, I don't do it. It's not worth it.

maltedmilk likes this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

It's an interesting question and with my self imposed buying restriction I have been forced to 'limit' myself to my existing razors (about 17-18 of them).
    The number of razors I rotate began to shrink as time went on - from maybe 10-12 down to 8 and then 6...and now it seems to be static around 4 razors that have become my solid performers.

I would say it's a good idea to use your tools consistently for some period of time. Not necessarily to 'master it' - it's not really that much of rocket science - but to find out how a particular razor works with different blades, etc

I'm now trying to determine if I should;
    a) Sell off the 12+ razors that don't get any/much play, or
    b) Keep those razors for those occasions when I really want to mix it up and/or to see if my preferences may have changed after some time have passed.

I'm inclined to do 'b' as it's the low-effort option and those razors did take some effort to collect as I got some in great conditions.
    It also doesn't seem like vintage razors will be going down in value any time soon :)

17. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I usually rotate through about a dozen straight razors, but occasionally grab a DE if I'm in a hurry. Most of the time that is my Merkur Slant, but the other day I grabbed the birth year toggle that I hadn't used in months, and set it on 7, BBS and not even a weeper. I think once your technique is down with a razor it would take a long time to not get a good shave with it.

burnout961 likes this.
  18. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

razors are not magic. they hold a razor blade. if a guy can play the guitar, he can play. he is not limited to only Stratocasters or Les Paul's. not to say someone won't have favorites. but the mechanics are in place to get a good shave from the mildest of razors. any short coming is most likely operator error.
    in the long haul, exposure to many razors, should enhance the shavers abilities.
    albeit, I can see where sticking to one is necessary for a new shaver to build the technique. but after that, I don't think using several would be detrimental to his abilities.

19. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I don't eat the same food everyday, but sometimes I will eat the same thing two days in a row. Same with my shaves.

20. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I will use one razor until it's time to change blades, and then I may or may not change razors.