withdrawn

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by fram773, Mar 14, 2014.

1. J.F. Martin

J.F. Martin Active Member

just don't try this!

2. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    :shocked003::shocked003::shocked003:

X-treme shaving?!? :think002:

Y'know... I fell out of airplanes in the army. I consider this DIY hardware razor way crazier than a static line jump at 800 ft.! DANG!

As for switching razors, I suggest interference learning applies. Individual results are... well... individual.

My shaving skills are not so well developed that I can switch without a hitch. Hmm... should I focus solely on a single razor to advance my zen understanding? At the cost of the full experience of my meager 22 razor collection (+1 in transit)?

<sigh>

It is a disease, isn't it? I see real wisdom in paring down the total to no more than 10... maybe less. Do I have the strength of character to reach for freedom? Recognizing you have a problem is the first step, isn't it? Oh, that I some day muster the courage to take that second step! <forearm held above brow to shield self from tragic flaw>

Well, at least I ain't shaving with a carriage bolt! Hope springs eternal.

fram773 likes this.
  3. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Now that's blade flex for real!

4. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

I use a different razor daily.. I rotate my thru my DEs. No particular reason other than this is still a new and exciting thing for me and I love all of my razors LOL I usually use a different brand blade in each one, as I am also working my way thru a ton of blade samples. I actually think it helps my technique as it reminds me that every razor has it's own shave "profile".

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Dunno. But it's more fun that way.

Nope. Once a razor is learned (that's the key), muscle memory quickly kicks in even after a long absence. In fact, I believe that having learned to use a variety of types, styles and weights of razors has improved my technique with all of them.

Have not read prior posts on this thread yet - sorry if my input is redundant.

6. Timelord

Timelord I get 12 times the shaves out my blades!

I only have two razors. A prewar Canadian fat Tech(w/triangular slots) and a Merkur 33C. I've gotten great shaves from both of them and can't decide which I like better. Some days, it takes me a while to decide which one I wanna use, but having the choice is part of the fun. A lot of the blades I have are singles and I want to try them out at least once in each razor.

7. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I use a blade 3 times, so I use whatever razor that blade is in 3 times. The next blade may get a new razor, or not.

maltedmilk likes this.
  8. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Hey GDC rocks. I had been shaving with some of the best DE razors on the planet for years and diligently working on technique when I discovered SE shaving. I immediately got great results with many SEs from 1912s thru OCMM, but was disappointed with a 1914 that alan from Arizona gave me. So I decided to try Gary's 30 day rule....This is the 2nd time I used it... The first was to learn a Str8.... Well to make a long story short, now that ER1914 is my all time favorite razor and I've used it exclusively since The end of Jan.
    Gary's advice can be taken to the bank...;)

maltedmilk and GDCarrington like this.
  9. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I came across it and wondered if anyone else has noticed the phenomenon I seem to have stumbled across. I'm only about three months into DE, and I've now acquired a solid stable of 4 DE razors. I have found that my first shave in a rotation change seems to be AWESOME. Even the mild(er) DE89 gave me a great shave the first time I picked it up after a week of using my NEW. I'm starting to think I might get the best results rotating daily. Anyone else?

10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Nope. Gotta say each razor I have is a bit different but I don't think I could say that switching them daily would make for a better - or worse - shave. Just different.

11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I'd go with option B unless space is a problem. As time goes on you can revisit the various razors you own, using different blades and possibly techniques until you make all of your razors "solid performers".
    It's a gamble/investment of course, but as you said, at least as of the last few years razor prices have risen fairly consistently. Plus you simply can simply never own too many razors..:)

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup