withdrawn

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by fram773, Mar 25, 2014.

1. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

withdrawn

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  2. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Cartridge? I thought those were only for the trash can.

On a side note, I cant believe how much money I wasted on them.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

More pressure is needed. No worries about the angle since the pivot gets it right for you.

As for passes, consider this - using a three bladed cart to make one pass is really like making three passes with a DE. So to make one of each WTG, XTG and ATG is really making NINE passes!!!

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Let's not turn this into a cartridge bash, please. Some folks do use them and do like them.

If you feel the need to bash something, feel free to lay into Williams :)

5. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I've done WTG and XTG with 3 and 4 bladed cartridges and had a DFS for my efforts. Still had to rinse quite a bit with some sink side whacking to get the stuff out. I think the beard prep is what really makes the difference between canned stuff and brush and lather. Cartridges do allow for more pressure but it is not necessary for my face.

6. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

The opinions expressed about cartridges are my own and are in no way representative of TSD or it's members. The opinions expressed should not be considered bashing but a divergent train of reasoning than the thread starter.

7. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Off Topic: Well, as far as I know at this point the Merkur IS pot metal and a Bic may actually do that. :lyrtuy5: That is the joy of being a newbie. You buy, you ask, you learn and
    take advice. Thankfully you can choose what you retain and ignore the flamers. So therefor I consider myself successfully ignored.

On Topic: I found that multi-blade cartridges clog to much to be useful on my face so for me ATC, XTG, and WTG didn't make much difference with lots of pressure of none. I spent more time trying to unclog than shaving which caused me to stop shaving for weeks at a time as if in a depression. I just picked up an old injector last weekend for a dollar at a yard sale. I haven't cleaned it or bought blades for it yet so I don't know if it will have the same clogging issues.

I hope you find the advice you need even with people like me on here. ;)

J_Man likes this.
  8. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

When I used cartridges, one pass and maybe some touch up. I don't use them anymore except for traveling, but I wouldn't recommend trying to do a 3 pass shave with one. The nice thing about them though, I never cut myself unless the blades were dull.

9. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Sorry... I go with on my face, and on my neck I go up and down. For any touch up after that, attack the best way that it seems.

The good news is that it's harder to make mistakes with a cartridge, and has a much lower learning curve. Bad news (YMMV!) is that you can give yourself some bad razor burn/irritation if you're not careful.

fram773 likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You can handle the Trac II exactly like an Injector except using slightly more pressure. Remember that Gillette used the type J injectors as the basis of their design for the Trac II.

The pivot of the ATRA and other razors attempt to keep the blades against the skin when crossing transition points such as the chin. The pivot should not pivot against flatter surfaces such as the smoother cheek area.

You can use all the grain strokes, passes and methods as you would with a DE or Injector. Mark Herro (Mantic59) displays some techniques in his videos using cartridge razors to show differences between cartridges and DE/Injectors.

fram773 likes this.
  11. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I shaved today with a Wilkinson Sword Profile Fixed Razor with a Profile blade. These do not have a lubricating strip. I used a preshave oil and a êShave
    mandarin French Shea Butter shaving soap with an Omega Boar. I made three passes above my jawline, and one WTG on my neck. I use an aftershave lotion to finish.

I received a BBS shave without any clogging, I did not apply any pressure whilst using short strokes. I have an irritation free shave, and the cart cost 0.34 and is still smooth on shave number four.

I have been a DE shaver since 1992...

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thread-squabbling aside...
    When I used cartridges for years, my attack was simple—downwards. Starting at the sideburns with downstrokes, continuing towards the chin just at the jawline.
    Next, the neck—(!)my least favorite memories—a downward strokes with pressure. Boom! Done! One pass shave.

13. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I would say use longer sweeping strokes, regardless of direction. Works for me.

14. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I sometimes use long strokes ATG on my face, but WTG only short strokes. Otherwise, you will clog certain cartridge razors which were not well designed - the Schick Tracer/FX and Quattrro come to mind.

15. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Good point.

16. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I suppose it does matter which numbered pass it is, and the amount of growth. I have rosacea, so sometimes I do not shave every day.

17. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Alright, thread scrubbed of squabbling.

Use the ignore lists if you have to, I don't care one way or the other, but the snide remarks stop here.

I don't like to use it, but I sure ain't afraid to either!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    sol92258 and HolyRollah like this.
  18. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Yes sir, and thank you. I publicly apologize for my part.

19. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

My cartridge shaves have dramatically improved because of my lessons in DE and SE shaving. I now do the usual two and three pass when I shave with a cartridge, generally with the Fusion Proglide (2 passes tops) and Mach 3 (generally a three pass).

Lately, I've really taken to the Bic Sensitive disposable, which takes three passes but is so FUN to shave with.

Aces!

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I occasionally use Trac II style carts and have more than once (I'm ashamed to admit this) got careless and sloppy and cut my fingernail deeply while whizzing away at warp 8 and holding my neck skin tight. Just goes to show: (a) you can never be too careful with any razor, and (b) I'm occasionally an idiot.