withdrawn

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by fram773, Sep 24, 2014.

?

what do you think of artisan soaps?

Poll closed Oct 1, 2014.
  1. I love them

28 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. i use them but they could use some refinement

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. I prefer commercial soaps

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. I dont like them

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Another is 'Organic'.

fram773 likes this.
  2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Dude, I'm in pest control. I despise that word.

CyanideMetal and fram773 like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Please keep it Forums friendly.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  4. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

For me, it comes down to what kind of shaves I get. Is Harris $20/puck better than Stirling or RazoRock? No. Not even close. I'll take RR over MdC on any deserted island. But that's just me.

To a lesser degree for me, I like the fact that artisans are constantly introducing new lines and scents and can do so on a whim and based on quick customer feedback. Try to get Penhaligon to change anything and when they do, they flub it.

Chuck F and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

That's kind of how I am as well. Does it work for me? Do I like it? Is it affordable? Does it have ingredients I like? Beyond that, I don't question it much. I don't see the point as it just lumps soap makers into two different and meaningless categories of Big Busness and Little Guy. Both turn out awesome items and both turn out garbage. If things are going to be put in two different categories, it seems that Works and Doesn't Work would be more productive/important.

J.F. Martin and CyanideMetal like this.
  6. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

I don't doubt your experience, but I don't think that was Set Sail, which is a lavender/mint thing and not described as supposed to smell like bamboo.

I have to take issue a bit here. I don't find Tiki or Stirling greasy, and I think it's safe to say the many people who are enthusiastic about those brands don't experience them that way either.

I don't question your experience, but I think you're conflating your preference with a flaw in the way the soap is made. Those soaps are super fatted on purpose, and a lot of people like them that way.

It's fine if you don't like soaps like that, but recognize that it's not a sign of amateurishness, but just a different style of shaving soap then you prefer.

I respect the amount of thought and experience that has gone into your preferences, and how well you've articulated them here.

7. woodworker

woodworker Active Member

I enjoy artisan soaps. I should say some artisan soaps. There are very professional companies like Cold River Soap Works or RazoRock that have been at it a good while. You can easily tell they have experience not only in soap making but in the way to run a business in general. Key things like having a constant supply level, fast shipping, excellent customer service, tried and true formulas that are not constantly in flux and changing on a whim and have things like shipping and return policies stated clearly. I get the impressions these guys are not producing soap out of their kitchens or dining rooms. I'm sure it's a full time gig for guys like these and not a interest turned money making hobby to be done after the day job and putting the kids to bed.

Some of the smaller soap makers while putting out a good product can be rather sporadic in their stock levels, shipping times, responses to inquiries, etc. They may also be using the enthusiasts for test marketing a soap and are liable to change formulas on a whim. I stay away from these guys since there is enough of a variety with the professional artisan soap makers.

That being said I like Tiki, RazoRock, CRSW and Mystic Waters from the US artisans. The Euro guys have some good ones as well like Jabonman and MdC, LPL. I also enjoy a good commercial soap like Cella and others.

I guess my point is it's not a good idea to lump all artisans together and make a blanket statement as put forth in the start of this thread.

8. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

You seem to be trying to convince yourself that you're right. There's nothing wrong with your preferences. If you were the only person who didn't care for artisan soaps, that would be fine as there is no right answer.

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Honest questions: When does an artisan product become non-artisan? Is it just quantity? Is it when more than two people make it? Four? Eight? Can a large company produce an artisan product, or can artisans work for a mega-corporation?
    If Arko scaled back to just 100 tubes a month with one guy filling tubes, would they be reclassified as an artisan soap? If Stirling began cranking out 1000+ pucks daily, does this invalidate the 'artisan' standing?

Mr. Shaverman and fram773 like this.
  10. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I have both artisan and non-artisan soaps poised unceremoniously on the ledge of the utility sink in my workshop.

11. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I have them propped up menacingly on a table.

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  12. Mr. Shaverman

No he didn't. Just because something contains extra oil or fat doesn't mean that it's automatically greasy. Also, a label like 'greasy' is relative. You may find Stirling greasy, many do not. It doesn't invalidate either belief.

crackstar and Chuck F like this.
  13. Chuck F

Yeah, this. I was speaking of whether the soap makes your face feel greasy, not whether it contains oils. Certainly we've all used a cheap hand lotion that leaves your skin feeling greasy and a better one that does not. But both contain oils and fats.

But my main point was that it's not a flaw borne of inexperience, but rather a choice made by the soap maker (artisan or not) about what kind of soap they want to make, and that some may like it and others not. Which is fine. I like large curd cottage cheese, other people like small curd. Small curd isn't a mistake.

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Oh, I'm afraid it IS! Right up there with that revolting fat-free sour cream! "Give me big curds or give me…..—okay, sorry. too melodramatic...

15. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

:happy102:
    death?

HolyRollah likes this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

... artisanal cheese? :D

HolyRollah likes this.
  17. Mr. Shaverman

...whey!

18. Chuck F

I like big curds, and I cannot lie! You other cheeses can't deny!

Jasman, jeraldgordon and CyanideMetal like this.
  19. Mr. Shaverman

Yeah, exactly. Just because you don't like a product doesn't mean it was made wrong or the person who made it doesn't know what they are doing. I'm sure there are any number of craftspersons out there that would be very surprised to hear about how poor their work is, just like I'm sure there are hundreds of musicians out there with gold records all over their walls who would believe me when I tell them they don't know what they're doing because I don't like them.

20. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I have been thinking about this for a little bit. I appreciate that artisans are catering to our needs and wants as best as they can. I think if you emailed the makers of DR Harris or Tabac and told them that you wanted an unscented soap; they'd laugh at you.

Another thing is that the big companies tend to change their soaps a lot. A lot of big soap companies get rid of tallow and put some other stuff in it and the soap turns to garbage sometimes. Like Trumpers, Taylor, and I think La Toja all had tallow at one time. I'm not going to say those soaps are garbage except for Taylor Sandalwood. That thing wouldn't lather well enough to save my life.

While these still might not be to your liking, artisan soap makers tend to go the extra mile for their customers and make it more of a personal thing. That is why I will keep buying artisan soaps. But I can't deny the high quality of big name soaps that I do use.