Wm Greaves & Sons FBU 8/8

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by HolyRollah, Sep 8, 2016.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

An old razor arrived in the mail yesterday and I took some time this morning to give a good 'once-over.'

Some specs on this razor:
    Manufactured by William Greaves & Sons, Sheaf Works (1820-1858) Sheffield, England.
    [​IMG]
    The hollow-ground carbon steel blade is 3.125" long and a hair over 1.0" wide. The tang is stamped "W. GREAVES & SONS FOR BARBERS USE" Interesting in that it appears to have been 'double-stamped,' with a slight misalignment.
    The scales are of black horn; wedge is of soft steel or lead. Large brass 'stacked' washers. All original.
    Pins are tight and the blade aligned well in the scales. There are cracks along both sides of the wedge pin and a large crack that begins at the blade end on one side of the scales. None of the cracks appear to be 'fatal.'
    Since the pins and scales are in usable condition, I will probably not do a rescale on this and simply clean up the blade and hone it.

Love these old Sheffields!

Here are some shots of the razor in its current 'as is' condition...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notice the 'double stamp'...The QC guy had the day off. :D
    [​IMG]

Cracks...not pretty but also not serious...
    [​IMG]

John Beeman, Karl G, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I love seeing these old pieces brought back. Are you planning on unpinning it to repair the scales?

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Adam, before I received the razor, I had intended on replacing the scales, but after my inspection, the razors is pretty solid. IF the cracks had been at the scale's pivot pin, they almost certainly would have needed replacement.
    At the wedge end, there is little impact on the performance or structural integrity. I may apply some adhesive to the crack along the top end (near the razor's tip end) where the cracked edge is likely to catch or curl.
    Ideally, I'd like to keep it all original now that I've held and inspected it.

THEN AGAIN: If I do decide to sell it, NEW custom scales will fetch a higher price than ones that are 'damaged'—despite being original. Buyers can be peculiar that way. ;)

Karl G, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Can't wait to see it after you work your magic on it Kevin!

5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Don't change the scales when you sell it to me at a bargain price;)

6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I'll be watching with great interest

7. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

That is one impressive hunk of steel. Looking forward to the transformation about to take place. :happy036:

8. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Love the old smiling wedges. I want!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Karl G likes this.