Woah...Shoulda stopped sooner

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by JohnDB, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I have taken an eBay razor to shave ready using a 1K stone to set the bevel, and then Soft, Hard, and Black arkies. The bevel must be set 100% before moving up the grits. I use an edge leading stroke on all stones. When I do circles on the lower grits, I do both edge leading and edge trailing. Everything else
    Is edge leading on stones, and edge trailing on strops. It takes a lot of time to do it with Arkies, but can be done. Do you have a scope to look at the edge?

JohnDB likes this.
  2. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

Yeah...But it's difficult to use. Moving stage makes it easier but it takes time to set up.

And so with all the voices I'm going to go back to edge leading...
    Just like I've done for years...Cut the stone but drag the steel/strop.

Drygulch likes this.
  3. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

It been my experience when dealing with sharp things, one should always listen to the voices...

JohnDB likes this.
  4. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

Weeeeell....That's not always true. :char039:

Drygulch likes this.
  5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    There is Solid Science behind the Edge Leading for razors it isn't "Mine" it goes back almost 300 years

Every reference from the barber's manual's to the hone instruction sheets say Edge leading for SR's

There is microscopic evidence going back years that this creates a Smoother edge to the face because the steel fibers do not burr on the edge...

Now going spine leading can be used no doubt about that and is used in many systems but everything I have ever seen in reference to SR's ends with edge leading... this is pertaining to Oil, Dry, or Water honing