WoOt! Feather AC RG arrived today!

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by MikekiM, Sep 9, 2010.

1. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Pretty psyched to give it a try, but I need to do a bit of research on proper grip and how to segment my face.

I chose one pack each of the Pro, Pro-Super and Pro-Guard blades. Certain I will start with the Pro-Guard.

I'm not too scared of it which is good and bad..

2. sffone

sffone Member

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a lot of research but would jump right in. The reason? What works great for me may not work well at all for you. Each person usually ends up developing his own shaving methodology based on his own particular facial contours, hair-growth patterns, and razor/blade combinations.

3. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

+1. Its pretty easy to segment your face just by looking at the flat parts. Mantic59 does that in one of his videos on YouTube. Just jump right in and see what works for you. I've been experimenting with grips for the two or so months I've had my Parker shavette. Give stuff a try and if it doesn't work, move on to something else!

You'll get it if you practice and perservere. I'll tell you what someone told me when I first started with the shavette: "Practice, and keep the styptic pencil close"

Good luck!

4. MikekiM

Thanks guys...
    But I can't figure out how to reach the other side of my face!! I don't shave DE two handed and for sure, I don't trust my left hand with this thing!

Chris Moses dissertation should be all I need before getting started!

5. MikekiM

Oh boy... this is going to be fun. My respect level for the AC has just been notched up a bit.

I have been fondling this razor a bit, practicing on the back of my hand..bladeless..

I then added the Pro-Guard Blade and took a gentle, zero pressure, near flat pass, about an inch long, through the thick hair on back of my hand. Dry.

As expected the hair simply melted away.

But now I can absolutely feel the slightest irritation on the spot I shaved. No question I buzzed the top layer of skin.

:shocked003

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy088 :happy088 :happy096

7. try a different spot with a drop of oil and feel the difference.Oil is your friend!

8. MikekiM

Thanks... conflicting feelings and thoughts on oil. I used a preshave (AoS) oil for a while and for my beard, it seemed to just add an unnecessary step.

9. MikekiM

So, all other things being equal.. what's better for a first shave with the AC RG... Should I wait for a day where I have heavy growth or follow up a BBS.

This morning was as BBS as they come.. It's 6:15 and I am still smoother than I would have been five minutes after a cart shave.. I can shave tomorrow which would be a really light beard or wait until Sunday.

10. I would give it a go tomorrow. I use Kingofshaves oil its at CVS and other places but you can use it alone or with your cream/soap. I use it alone usually. Its harder for me to cut myself with oil than creams/soaps. Don't try for a perfect shave though. Make a couple nice passes and follow up with old faithful. That way your pushing yourself too hard. Thats when I make mistakes. You now have my opinion though it never paid for lunch.lol

11. MikekiM

My plan was a single pass...

Skip any follow-up unless I am unpresentable and revisit it tomorrow night or Sunday morn...