Working on re-knotting..

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by ravien99, Mar 7, 2011.

1. ravien99

ravien99 New Member

Hey all i'm currently working on re-knotting an old ever-ready handle.. I had messaged a few of you on here about doing it for me but I decided to be brave lol and give it a shot! But I could use some help and advice..

So i've got the old knot out the hole cleaned out, and it's hollow inside.. I wasn't expecting that.. What should I fill it with? Something light weight or heavy? Has anyone else done ever-ready brushes? It's an ever-ready 100, I believe the knot size is about 20mm, anyone know what size it might be?

The pic I posted is not mine but that's the handle that I have..

Attached Files:

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Carlos -

Good job. It's not super hard and can be a lot of fun. Once the knot is out, measure the diameter of the hole and multiply by 25.4 to get mm. For the knot, I would go one size smaller then the hole. If it is 22mm wide, then get a 20mm knot. If you want a larger knot, It isn't any more difficult to open the hole up a bit then it was to get the original knot out. You can use just about anything in the cavity. I have used wine cork and paper towels in the past.

I look forward to seeing your progress.

If you get stuck, please feel free to ask.

3. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

I'd definitely go with something light, if anything at all, unless you think you'd like some more weight to it. Really, it's up to you.

I've read of people putting a dowel rod in there, and a piece of rolled up paper, and a piece of cork. I remember reading someone filled theirs with expanding foam.

I didn't put anything in mine that I did, I just put enough epoxy around the base of the knot that it would make contact with all sides. Looking back, I think it was kind of risky, but it worked. Can't recall exactly how I held it in place though, was a couple years ago, I think I kinda leaned at an angle so the know wouldn't fall too far in the handle, but I can't recall for sure.

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I need to not be so lazy and tackle one of these projects myself!

Plus I have a Super Speed fix I am supposed to be making a thread of too!

Arrgh! Where does the time go! :D

5. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I have used wine cork before, and I have used styrofoam. I always pour epoxy in over whatever I fill with, let it set, then set the knot. Being hollow can really work for you, because it makes it easy to set the depth of the knot.

6. sol92258

I knew I wasn't imagining that! :D

7. Griz

Griz Member

No you weren't imagining that, I have used wine corks many times to do these, and it makes it really easy.

Of course I always seem to have plenty of wine corks laying around.

Will N.

8. sol92258

Well, I meant I specifically remember Rodd saying he'd done that before, but now we know it's fairly common ;)

9. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I've used a cap off of a 20oz Coke bottle before. It's light and sturdy. For weight, I've used washers and pennies.

10. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Hah those are my brushes! :happy102

Just fill the hole with loctite marine epoxy, it gets hot when it cures but hasn't caused me any issues.

[​IMG]

As it sits today, the other brush never did get done, it was in worse shape.

11. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I don't know what cave I have been living in...but it never occured to me that people buy vintage brushes for the handles:o. When that light turned on...I found myself thinking about all those dirt cheap brushes I pass in the antique stores, with nice handles...but nasty bristles.

I think I may be taking on one of these jobs myself too.

12. ravien99

ravien99 New Member

Oh wow haha I found that pic on google.. So what size knots did you put in them? Any suggestions for them?

13. Sodapopjones

If you don't do any cutting or modification to the collar 18mm most likely, if you open it up you can probably get a 22mm... I have a 20mm Super in mine.

14. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

I have a iKon SS brush and the knot fell out recently. Does the Loctite work with existing epoxy and on SS?

Attached Files:

15. ravien99

ravien99 New Member

And did you use that epoxy all the way up to the knot to seal that in as well? did it add any significant weight?

16. Sodapopjones

Doug, I believe the packaging says it bonds anything from cement, to metal to fiberglass... They changed packaging so I don't remember exactly which tube I bought.

I would still sand up or hacksaw off excess epoxy so it sits flat and level when you go to seal the knot back into the handle.

I used a measuring tape and roughly marked the inside of the handle to get the right loft, filled to the line and let it set overnight. I sanded it down the next day to build a floor for it to get the right loft, I was off by 1mm but hey that's about the same tolerance as brush manufactures. I laid down the 2nd coat of epoxy just enough to cover the plug and not get into the actual hair, let that set another day and it was good to go... It does indeed add a decent weight to the handle, and it feels solid.

Carlos, you can find everything in detail in this thread I made when I restored the brush.

17. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

If you haven't done this yet, be sure to sand the inside of that handle. Epoxy holds better to rough surfaces. A smooth metal surface may be why the knot fell out in the first place.

18. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

I've been using West System epoxy in varying cure times 5 minute to 24hour. As for filling the brush I filled one with epoxy, but used the 24 hour to avoid any melting on the handle from fast kick. The rest I just hold the knot at the height I want and use the 5 minute quick set, it works great. Those Ever-ready handles are awesome.

19. ravien99

ravien99 New Member

sweet thank you soo much that thread was helpful, I will continue my project this weekend hopefully! I saw you said you left the other hndle with "Tony".. Would that be Tony from Penworks/TGN? I see you live in AZ, I live up north in Flagstaff and I was thinking about going to his physical store..

20. Sodapopjones

Yeah, Carlos TGN Tony :happy102 If you do go to his store, you will most likely get to pick your own knot! Maybe if you're nice he will polish the handle too!