Worth a restoration?

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by twhite, Sep 12, 2016.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Setting the bevel right now with 15 micron. The heel is real rounded, so it is tapering out at about 1/16 from where I would like it. The toe is good. I will leave it for now. The bevel is pretty even right now. What do you guys think. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Looks Good from Here..Just Remember to Finish Coming Off the 15 Microm with No Pressure Sets..Just the Weight of the Blade..You Should be Able to Shave with that from the 15 Micron or Just About..:)

Billy..:chores016:

Bama Samurai, Karl G and twhite like this.
  3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I was pleasantly surprised that there was no pitting on the bevel.

4. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Looks fantastic Tom but I think of Captain Jack Sparrow everytime I see it's name. :happy097:

Bama Samurai, Billyfergie and twhite like this.
  5. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    :happy102:

Billy..:chores016:

Bama Samurai and Karl G like this.
  6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

All honed and stropped. Of to shave with it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

First shave with it in the books. 3 pass mostly N-S A bit XTG. I used both hands. Man is that freaky. Only 1 tiny nick on my upper lip using my off hand.

Man is this razor noisy. It must be the Hollow grind. Passes were smooth, although I can tell I need more stropping. As I only have my home made strop for my ER Automatic Stropper. I will wait until I receive my @Drygulch strop I ordered today. As to not mess up the blade. All in all I am very happy with my first attempt at refurbishing and honing a Straight.

I do need to sand down the tang inlay on one side. It is pushing the blade off center right at the end. It should be an easy fix.

Tom

8. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

nice job. Glad the shave was good. The more hollow the razor the more noise they make. I love my DryGulch strop. I use it 90% of the time and I have some pretty high end strops.

Karl G and twhite like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

If it was noisy, you did it right. Nice work, I'm impressed! Welcome (officially) to the....

My one SR Tip: rinse blade in warm water (heat it up a bit) before wiping dry. The heated blade will continue to dry out after you wipe it, helping prevent issues.

Have fun, SR is a blast!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Karl G, lloydrm and twhite like this.
  10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I make it a habit to lightly coat my straights with mineral oil, after each shave. It's time consuming, and a little dangerous, but the humidity around here is crazy high.

Karl G, Bama Samurai and twhite like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

A great idea most places. I am lucky, in my area on the prairie in Colorado, 35% is a muggy day.

Karl G and twhite like this.