Worth restoring

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by D-Rock, Nov 12, 2014.

1. D-Rock

D-Rock New Member

I've been shaving with one of those disposable type straight razors for about 4 years now. I have a couple of old razors that were my great grandfathers i've been thinking of getting restored and using. My question is if it would be worth it to have these razors restored or if I should just buy a new one.

razor 1. Barbers prince, marshall wells, made in germany, has original box
    [​IMG]

razor 2. The crawford
    [​IMG]

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    It can be hard to tell razors' conditions from pictures, but if they were your great grandfather's razors they're at least worth sending off to clean up any active rust, and get them assessed for restoration.

I send all my straights to Glen at GemStarCustoms

Bristle Me likes this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

If I had razors that belonged to my great-grandfather, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to get them restored.
    Fixing up ebay beaters is one thing; restoring family heirlooms is priceless.

I second JoAnna's recommendation of Glen to do this type of work.

4. D-Rock

D-Rock New Member

Whats a ball park figure for restoring and honeing to shave ready?

5. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

I'd restore them in a heart beat. Enjoy!

6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

7. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

@gssixgun

That is a question best answered by someone who does this kind of work every day.
    I'm sure Glen will be along shortly.

If you have not shaved with and maintained a regular straight razor before,
    you need to be aware that there is a significant learning curve. If you are determined,
    you can certainly master it. But, it takes time, and it is likely that you will experience a set-back or two.
    I'm not trying to discourage you be any means, just make you aware.

I agree completely with the others here.
    Because these razors have a history special to you,
    I would most surely restore them if at all possible.

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. D-Rock

D-Rock New Member

I have not shaved with standard straight razor, I do use a straight razor with disposable blades at the moment.

9. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Hey there D-rock,,

I see two razors that have every indication of being fine shavers, myself I would give an Eyetooth to own a true Heirloom razor that is a rare thing indeed.. You are so lucky
    There is a lot to learn but if you are shaving with a shavette now you have a distinct head start already..

JoAnna linked my website and it is in my sig line too, I would be more then happy to give a quote by e-mail over there as it isn't really "proper etiquette" to discuss prices on the forum :) but I do have several different levels of restore we can discuss :D

10. D-Rock

D-Rock New Member

cool, I sent you an email Glen, look forward to hearing from you.

gssixgun likes this.