Wostenholm & Son IXL

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by HolyRollah, Aug 10, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Here's one that's been sitting around that needed some work done on the scales. The scales were horn and in sad shape and the pins were shot. At least the blade was in a-okay shape. Plenty of sanding up to 2000 grit, plus some buffing brought the scales to a nice amber translucence. @TSimons was wondering when I'd ever get around to finishing this one! ;)

George Wostenholm & Son IXL 5/8 with barber's notch (pre-1891)
    Horn scales, sanded and polished
    Metal endwedge
    Brass pins & brass double washers
    Still to be honed………

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  2. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Very nice. Per our discussion a few weeks ago regarding new vs vintage razors - This reinforces my belief that you should go with the vintage. That is a beautiful blade.

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

This is true. you don't see that many modern blades with the amount of detailed information some of the oldies contain—at least, not that many that I've come across.

4. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Absolutely beautiful as usual... kudos.

HolyRollah likes this.
  5. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Man is that sweet

HolyRollah likes this.
  6. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

Beautiful job! Makes me want to clean up my Wostenholm Celebrated. I really like how the scales cleaned up.

HolyRollah likes this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

[​IMG]
    Ty, I think you'll be surprised how nice those old horn scales clean up! The scales on my IXL looked worn, dark, drab with many scuffs and areas of 'peeling' where the natural fibers began to loosen—MUCH worse than the condition of your scales in the photo above.
    After a good soak for several days in neats foot oil (the scales were removed first from the razor, but one can soak the whole razor & do no harm). I began hand-sanding the rough spots with 220grit wet/dry >320>400>600 until all of the peeling, scuffs and scratches were gone. At this point the horn's translucence was becoming evident. Polishing stages: 800>1000>1500>2000grit sandpaper. Final buffing with ChromOx on a buffing wheel (or one can use TurtleWax polishing compound by hand), and finally a good wax to finish. By the way, the sanding went very quickly as horn is quite soft. Much easier than working a blade.

GDCarrington and macaronus like this.
  8. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Looks excellent again, Kevin!

HolyRollah likes this.
  9. TSimons

Well, that might have been the push I needed...

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

On the blade, I'd start with a higher grit (600?) to see how it cleans up the dark spots. no sense going too low (85, 100) unless one has to. It just creates more work! Some of the metal polishes are slightly more abrasive (Mothers, for example) and really help remove the grunge and grime from old blades and tang. In fact, now that I look at the photo, try a polish first on the blade before going to the sandpaper and gauge the results.
    A little quality metal polish (Flitz, Mothers, Maas, Blue Magic) on the pins willl make them shine.

SRNewb likes this.
  11. TSimons

Would it be fair to say the bevel should be reset after hitting it with the wet/dry sandpaper?

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Odds are 'yes.'—but try the polish first. No need to do a reset if a lil' polish will do the job!

13. TSimons

As with the wet/dry sandpaper and neatsfoot oil, I'll have to go shopping before I can start.

14. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Really nice outcome Kev...

GDCarrington and HolyRollah like this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thanks, Glen. Each one gets a bit easier and I learn a little more with each new victim…err…new razor. ;)

GDCarrington likes this.
  16. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Lovely razor. Love the look of a barber's notch.

17. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

I want to get mine all pretty.

[​IMG][​IMG]

GDCarrington likes this.
  18. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Sandpaper, polish and time. That should clean up rather well.

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

20. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

If it were mine I think I may be tempted to send it for a regrind that's a big beast you don't say what size the razor is?

SRNewb likes this.