Would you agree, Gillette's flagship razors keep men safe from getting RAD?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by engrsaks, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Sorry for dumbing down this intellectually charged discussion but I'd like to offer my thoughts as well.

I'm about the stuff. I like nice things. I had no problems with carts. I had great shaves. I used Williams soap and a synthetic brush for years but my razor was the cart of the day. It was the beauty of the safety razor that drew me in. I love the feel of the craftsmanship. The hobby grew from there: soaps, a badger brush, creams, more soaps, etc.
    Do I get a better shave than I did with a Gillette Sensor? Not really. But I love shaving now. I finish a shave and cannot wait for the next one. Would I go back to carts? Never.

2. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

No dumbing down! I'm glad you are enjoying your shaves!

Bama Samurai, Spud and engrsaks like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You've become an addict. It's okay. I'm one too.

I look forward to posting on the forums, reading the forums, learning about other razors, brushes, etc. and buying them. I get more excited about the stuff coming in the mail than I do about my shave.

I spend longer picking out my shaving equipment than I do shaving.

With all of the above being said, I still enjoy my shaves thoroughly. But I enjoy the hobbiest/collector aspect of wetshaving more.

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I enjoy my rad, sad, bad,srad's.
    I enjoy searching for inspirations of the products and equipment I use.
    I enjoy following the forum

Spud likes this.
  5. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Interesting question indeed!

The Gillette strategy is very smart; keep selling the older cartridges (and DE blades!), but discontinue the razors. Someone who started with a Mach3 will never look at the Sensor cartridges, since they don't fit in his handle. But at the same time, Gillette still makes money on the guys who hold on the older razors, by offering cartridges and blades for them.

So with each new generation, Gillette makes sure that the new shavers will not go to the older cartridges (because there are no razors in the shop). And unless they find out about alternative razors themselves, they are stuck with the (at that point) top of the line cartridges.

Spud and Bama Samurai like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

What an interesting question Saad and just as interesting answers.
    For me I started shaving in my late teens, as did most of my friends, as a requirement for high school. My first safety razor was a gift from my mother a Schick Adjustable Injector "a nice top of the line razor". I knew nothing about proper shaving, ie. pre shave, post shave, technique, I used canned goo and had no mentor except advertising. So for the next 2 years I endured the torture because I had to. The first thing I did upon graduation was to grow a beard. I was VERY happily bearded for the next 4 years, in fact if a job required that I shave I would simply pass on the job.

Then an opportunity came up for not just a job, but a career. Of course, as luck would have it, I would be required to be clean shaven and so the torture began again:angry019:, only this time the instrument of pain was the Gillette Trac2.
    I LOVED my new career!! So, out of necessity, I endured the ordeal of irritation, ingrown hairs, nicks, bumps, razor burn and terrible shaves for the next 34 years.
    My plan for retirement was FIRST thing GROW a BEARD!!!:happy088:

About 2 years before I was to retire a friend and co-worker discovered "traditional" shaving and told me about it. At first of course I had absolutely ZERO interest in it, as in my mind, it was just another form shaving torture which I was about 2 years away from NEVER having to suffer again! My friend and I would talk about it however and he would tell me of his experience with "traditional" shaving so I began, out of curiosity, to research this insane idea and actually found it interesting. Then my friend gifted me with an Edward Jagger R89. I bought a sample pack of blades, a VDH shave kit(soap, brush, bowl, stand), I had already been researching on the internet and watching mantic59, Geofatboy as well as other shaving video's. So began my trip down the rabbit hole!!:) I joined TSD, caught a severe case of RAD(over a 100 razors to date) and I have never looked back! I've been retired for going on 5 years now and I am still clean shaven, but there is no torture or pain anymore, shaving is now an ENJOYABLE ritual with stellar results and a FUN hobby!! I only wish I had discovered "traditional" shaving years ago when I was much younger.:happy088:

So that's how I went from shaving out of necessity only, and HATING it, to an ENTHUSIASTIC shaver who ENJOYS shaving and shaves regularly on purpose!! I love the hobby as well as the ritual and the results!:happy108:

Oh I almost forgot YES "regular" for lack of a better word, shaving does keep down the AD's but it also keeps down your pleasure, enjoyment and fun!!! So who needs it? :confused:

PLANofMAN, Bama Samurai and engrsaks like this.
  8. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

Exactly my state regarding wet-shaving. I'm not saying I don't like it now, I love exploring, testing and rotating razors on regular basis. However, when I look back, I can see the reason why Gillette keeps a high priced razor/cartridge in market.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  9. MicBaldy

MicBaldy Member

I would say that limited amount of choice for cartridge razors, when compared to the many choices of DE and SE razors with various blade combinations, does limit RAD quite a bit. It does nothing to limit SAD/CAD/BAD/ASAD however. :)

178-bplatoon and engrsaks like this.
  10. engrsaks

Ah yes, indeed you are true about it. When I used to have proglide only, there were quite a many aftershaves and creams in my collection. A good shave with long lasting scent, really makes my day bright.

11. engrsaks

Oh, I just recognised you Sir. You are that gentleman who posted a whole guide on difference between shavette and straight razor, right? It was very thorough and really helped me distinguish the two. Back then, as far as I can recall, you had a different avatar. :). I better go and hit the "follow" button right next to your profile. :p

12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That's me. Yeah, different avatar, same hat. I have a few threads like that one rolling around in this place.

engrsaks likes this.
  13. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

Saad & Nathan, I simply love your exchange of ideas, & Nathan I totally agree with your insights and definitions. Myself, like Saad enjoy the variety and experience of using the many available tools, as you may also, for something that may have once been a daily chore.
    I think most of the world are regular shavers, and unfortunately haven't experienced the fun of becoming an enthusiast which probably accounts for our few numbers. I also think that maybe enthusiasts are a little more engaged in life and all it has to offer, always seeking, searching and learning new and interesting things. Not that regular is negative, as there is a lot to be said for those who are comfortable, content and consider "enough as good as a feast".

Jerry-built Hustler and engrsaks like this.
  14. engrsaks

Pretty true, you are DonMac. I haven't disclosed this fact to my other members on the board but I'm more of an information addict. Always trying to analyze something in my life, calculating it and trying to find out new ways to implement or get the same result. Nowadays, I'm super interested in getting views from gents who have shaved with both Trac-II injector razor and Trac-II cartridge razor. How these razors compare, mildness, shaving results and satisfaction, which twin blade feels better, maintenance and the list goes on and on and on.

DonMac likes this.