Wow!!! $741 for a Fatboy!!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by AnB_Daddy, Sep 21, 2011.

1. AnB_Daddy

AnB_Daddy Active Member

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I'm sure mtgrayling is very happy. I know I'd be.

3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

4. AnB_Daddy

AnB_Daddy Active Member

It went from $560 to $741 with 30 seconds left. I was shocked when that happened. I didn't expect it to go any higher than $560.

5. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

I was watching that thread - not to buy obviously I just wanted to see where it wound up. It was over five hundred bucks four days ago

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Sniping programs.

7. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

Yeah, but he'll probably still complain that he'll have to pay taxes on it.
    :p

8. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

That is crazy. I hope he, or she, enjoys it.

9. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

10. newb

newb Resident Newb

Wow, that's insane for that brush. ?? Blurry picture too. I can understand the bottom dial going for big bucks. But a Vintage Simpson's for over 1000 US dollars. OK, Brush experts, What makes this particular Simpson so valuable?

11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It's Ivory.

12. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

It belonged to Elvis (thankyouverymuch...uh huh huh)

13. newb

newb Resident Newb

Ohhhhhhhh. Thanks. I thought ivory was banned on ebay?

14. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

well fair enough if its ivory. not mentioned in the listing very vauge really and the pictures not great.

15. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that pre-ban ivory is OK. I usually see real ivory items listed as "organic".

16. CoinsAndMore

CoinsAndMore New Member

It doesn't have to be a program. I have to admit, I'm a manual sniper. They've made it pretty easy. Between the on screen countdown and setting a max bid, I either get it, or they pay more than I want to. I started sniping years ago after I lost an auction on a piece of equipment I really needed. I called it "bid squatting", but I like sniping better. Sounds like there's skill involved. ;)

No offense, but I often wonder why anyone bids on an item 3 days out. All it does is drive up the price. On the occasions when I've been forced to bid an hour before close, I almost never get it, no matter how high I set the bid. It does give me an idea of the level of interest though and how serious I should be in trying to get an item.

17. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

They didn't list it as Ivory in the listing. They just mentioned there were markings on the brush, which when you see the pictures, it is stamped Ivory. :) Clever way to skirt around undetected.

Congratulations to Chris on the sale of that 195.

18. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

This is why I'll likely never own a 195. I'm a wet shaver, not a razor collector. When you get into razors over ~$150, it is IMHO purely about collecting. I hope the winner enjoys it.

19. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I paid much more for mine but it did come with the original bottom-dial case, which is rarer than the razor itself. It hurt me in my soul to buy it but it's a must have for any collector.

20. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It may have gotten through ebay without being noticed, but it still needs to get through customs if it is coming to the states.

Importing undocumented ivory is a no no.