xChris' Custom Straight #1

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by xChris, Apr 12, 2008.

1. xChris

xChris Member

Well, I finally got myself a handmade straight razor. I've been shaving with straights for about two and a half years, and have accumulated a decent collection of restored, NOS, and new razors.

Here lately, though, I felt like my collection needed to have some representation by some of the outstanding makers we have within our community. For my first, I turned to Joe Chandler. I have commissioned Joe's restoration services before, and his prices are quite competitive. It seemed a natural selection for my first customized razor. Joe, as the artisan, was free to make the scales after I selected the wood.

This is the first blade (knife or razor) I have ever owned with damascus steel -- I so wanted it for this razor! Joe stated the damascus came from Mike Blue, and is made from 1095 and 15N20 with a hardness of 59 Rc. The wedge and fasteners are made of brass. I will tell you that this is a substantial piece; it weighed in at around 4oz. While this doesn't seem like much, most other razors were weighing in at 2oz, and the closest razor that I found in my collection was a W&B Barber's Use which weighed in at 3.5oz. The scales are nicely polished African Blackwood in a natural finish.

The blade width is 8/8 measured from edge to spine; if you measure to where the hone would touch (edge plus bottom edge of the diamond spine) it is 6/8. I measured thickness around 0.206 - 0.209in. along the blade.

[​IMG]

2. xChris

xChris Member

3. xChris

xChris Member

4. xChris

xChris Member

5. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

OH MY GOD! That is one GREAT looking razor!

I hope it shaves as well as it looks! ::

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Wow!!!! :eek:

That's a heckuva straight there, Chris! Nice!! :happy088

7. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

WOW! Looks like something Teutonic knights would've shaved with! What a beaut!!

8. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Joe does it again!

9. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

Congratulations, that's gorgeous!

10. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

outstanding work!!!!!!

11. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

simply amazing.

12. Hi Chris,
    I don't usually comment on straights, but this is one time I have to make an exception. That's a very very handsome razor you have there.
    Best of luck with it,
    Martin

13. Padron

Padron Active Member

WOW Chris!!! :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool

I may need a towel over here...that is an Awesome looking straight...Congrats!! :cool:

14. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

:love008:drool:drool:drool

I am speechless.

15. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Joe does it again! That is a seriously beautiful razor. Congratulations!

James.

16. 2Sharp

2Sharp New Member

Joe's blades are on my list of gotta have's. OK, how does it shave?

bj

17. xChris

xChris Member

More to follow on the shaving aspects of this razor...

18. turbo23

turbo23 New Member

That is absolutely beautiful! A Masterpiece!

19. xChris

xChris Member

Well, the first shave is down.

[​IMG]

It was a great shave, and a fun experience. I hope the attached photos convey the journey for you. Thanks to my spouse for capturing some of the action. I completed three passes (WTG-XTG-ATG) with a couple of touch ups in my problem area (sideways on right side of the trachea).

The razor was shaving sharp -- no surprise in that. What was surprising to me was how fine the edge felt. EIther in close work or during the reduction passes, I could feel the edge coming in contact with the hair as it cut; it had that "zipper" feeling to it. However, it also behaved like a good wedge should with rigidity(no flex). I find that when I do ATG passes, I want a razor with minimal tono flex in the edge; I get close without fear of irritation or nicks.

While the razor is heavy, it didn't feel cumbersome or out of balance (even with that big ol' wedge hanging out at the end of the scales). With repeated use, I have no doubt that the weight and balance would become second nature. I don't think, though, I would want to switch this into rotation with lightweight 5/8 full hollow ground razors. Stropping went well, and I adjusted to the ornate spine. Oh yeah, the damascus pattern didn't wash away either. (ha ha)

Thanks to Joe Chandler for creating this unique razor. I plan to enjoy it for awhile.

Stropping the blade...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These whiskers don't stand a chance (2 days growth for me -- sparse & not too tough)
    [​IMG]

Loading up the brush and applying lather
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First stroke of the razor, and the results...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More shaving...
    [​IMG]

Final result...
    [​IMG]

20. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Wow! Awesome photos! :happy088