Xezmer's first custom brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Xezmer, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

I bought my buddy a mixed badger brush in a giant shaving kit I put together for him a few months ago that he shortly gave back cause it began shedding and I put in for a new one. The seller was nice enough to let me keep the old one and I put it away for later to make a custom brush out of.

I'm currently experimenting with straight razors and while purchasing some stuff from Larry Andro, I noticed he had a few knots for sale for cheap. I picked myself up a best and silvertip in 22/65mm. I had some time this morning and figured it was a perfect day to work.

The brush handle I used was from this brush.

The removal of the knot was absolute HELL.

I start by cutting it with scissors (terrible idea) until there was a nickel length amount of hair left, at which point I took my pocket knife and starting scything away hairs directly from the base. When I got all the hair I could out of the way, I took a cutting piece on a dremel and cut everything left flush with the handle. I then drilled in to the handle about 20mm (I wanted a 45mm loft, the knot was 65mm). I then took a grinding flat tip on the dremel and went away at it until I found the base I wanted. It was a terrible experience. I'm working on it. I'll get there. Thinking up an idea for the silvertip soon.. and then, who knows what? I've been due for a coupe of different types of brushes :D

I learned 3 things i'll need for my next brush build/restore:

1. Use a mask
    2. Use glasses
    3. Patience

A glass of your favorite drink also doesn't hurt, but put a lid on it :cool:

Here's the final result:

[​IMG]

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Very cool! May it serve you well for many years to come. :happy088:happy088

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Ditto!

4. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I kinda worry about those knots, the shaping/packing is odd and I see obvious bubbles in the resin plug holding them together.

*edit*

It is nice though when you do something yourself!;)

5. brucered

brucered New Member

now you got me thinking, well actually i already was, about trying my hand at my own brush.

lee valley sells some badger knots, 20mm for about $9 as well.

just have to source a handle or get someone to turn one for me.

6. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Very cool! Looks great!

Couple things I have learned from doing these:

I cut the hair down with a SE blade. Just push it right through. Sometimes a little rocking action is needed to keep it going.

Since you have a Dremel, I have found it easiest to drill the hole a bit smaller than the knot currently is. Then I use a cutting/grinding bit on my Dremel to cut away the rest of the knot. This eliminates the worry of chipping the handle while drilling.

I wear a heavy duty mask with canisters. That dust is terrible.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the silvertip!

7. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Thanks you both!

Thank you.

And I just checked my ST knot... I don't see any air bubbles through any of it. I think any on the ones you're looking at may be of functionality. Also, these knots are almost funkless, which, depending on your personality is a good or bad thing.

You surely refined in words what I probably would have learned the second time around. Thanks for saving me the headache. I'll come back here for a review before I get to the other job. I've got some bids on eBay right now for some handles so let's see what I can turn up. Wish me luck!

By the way, here's my SoS/SOTD with the "post-bloom" (it's not entirely too big, but a little less stiff than before):

[​IMG]