Yaqi Adjustable V3 "The Final Cut"

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dave in KY, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Williams Wednesday DecemBOAR 22, 2021
    Razor: Yaqi V3 Adjustable (The Final Cut) Setting 5
    Blade: Wizamet
    Brush: Knothead "The Kentuckian"/Timberwolf
    Soap: Vintage Williams
    AS 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
    AS 2: Williams Aqua Velva
    Fragrance:
    Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 1141

Another great, close and smooth shave on Setting 5 of the Yaqi V3 "The Final Cut"

ischiapp, IAmTheJody, Str8on2 and 3 others like this.
  2. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Excellent shave video and assessment of this razor, Dave. It punches way above it’s low entry level fee and competes with some higher regarded adjustables including undercutting their much higher acquisition fees.

Great shaves, brother…. :eatdrink047:

Dave in KY likes this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Great video Dave, looks a great to own.

4. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Thanks Gus :eatdrink047:
    Thank you Ron, it's worth it. They are expecting restock by mid January in Chrome as well as Gun Metal finishes:happy088:

Ron R likes this.
  5. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Yaqi Brush is beta testing ...

Ultima (The Final Cut SS)
    [​IMG]

And a very interesting idea. Mainly about economy and speed of production.
    A modern take on shims, of the "adjustable" Karve / Rockwell concept.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2023
    WhyAreYouMe, jimjo1031, Ron R and 2 others like this.
  6. ischiapp

7. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

I'm mostly Italian but don't speak it -- is he just talking about the regular Yaqi Final Cut in the vid?

I wasn't aware of the Ultima -- I've been staying off Ali to save money. :)

Didn't they make a brass version too?

I bought the zamak Final Cut over a year ago, or more, don't remember. $30-something shipped, I think. I used it once or twice, then it went in the drawer. Nothing wrong with it, but it just felt like a cheap razor -- which is exactly what it is.

Those inexpensive Ali razors caused me to spend money I wouldn't have spent otherwise, lol.

8. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

Did you like it ?? What felt cheap about it ? I have been thinking of buying one when they go on sale again...

9. ischiapp

One of the first versions. Not the regular TFC.
    But It's the only complete I've found, where to see the full disassembling.
    No matter the version ... the parts are the same.

10. ShaversRUs

Something must have changed (better/stronger spring), otherwise the alignment/tilting problem would not have been fixed.

11. ShaversRUs

Yes, the shave was decent, but it felt a bit lightweight. (It's been well over a year since I've used it. And it was maybe for 1 or 2 shaves.) For the $30-something price shipped, it is a decent buy. The brass or SS version would probably be better.

It is like an adjustable version of the ubiquitous DE89/Merkur 34 clone.

There's the rub -- you need to spend $30 to see if you like it before buying the one made of better materials. Else take a crapshoot on the more expensive one from the get-go.

I doubt the resale value of ANY Ali razor is more than a few peanuts.

jaro likes this.
  12. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it a lot.

ShaversRUs likes this.
  13. ShaversRUs

Sure, no problem.

jaro likes this.
  14. Str8on2

The Yaqi Ultima in Stainless has been a pleasant surprise. A significant improvement over the Chrome/Zamak version. Only a couple of shaves so far but, I’m liking it better than even their Brass version. Only thing that I can nitpick on is the handle as it offers very little tactile grip and feel once wet. No mishaps though so far.

1B41F0B9-C62C-4813-84EE-512F97DDB16A.jpeg

15. flash75

flash75 Member

Can you say something about the aggressiveness compared to the final cut? Is it far more aggressive or maybe on setting 1 even milder than tfc?
    I am interested in the lower settings as I use tfc only at setting 1.

Gesendet von meinem 2109119DG mit Tapatalk

Hembree likes this.
  16. ShaversRUs

Is it ($146.41 - $28.02) better than the TFC/zamak?

Hembree and ischiapp like this.
  17. Str8on2

3 days of whisker growth as I wanted to see how the Yaqi Ultima would take on some decent stubble fully wide open and ultimately how my skin would feel at the end. I still had the Polsilver Iridiums blade installed with this shave being its 3rd. Cracked it wide open a full turn back to 1 (7) after a full shower threw on some Fine Platinum suds and it was off to the shave races. 2.5 passes later, it was a complete BBS finish that rivaled some of the best results I’ve had in the past few months. Super nice and efficient feeling shave with some nice face feeling smoothness as I dialed it down to 4.5 then 2.5 for the final 1/2 buff-pick ups pass. A really awesome shave that was top notch in feel & comfort. No nics, cuts or irritation to discuss and just the tiniest of weepers at the corner of the stache. The razor and blade combo felt firmly planted on the skin with no skipping or blade deflection which can give a sort of skittish feel as the razor glides across a particular area. It cut through the he whiskers with ease yet firm authority on each stroke. It felt really good and balanced transitioning from North to South and also left to right and vice-versa. Overall an extremely pleasant shave from start to finish that just raised the question in my head “Are these Asian made razors really closing the gap on quality & performance against their US & European counterparts?”

The Yaqi Ultima is making a case so far. At least in my shave den. Great shaves to all…

1E80EA1A-D384-4537-955B-A07B08BE90B8.jpeg

Hembree likes this.
  18. ShaversRUs

If I knew before what I know now, and it was available, I would have bought a Yaqi Ultima, and skipped the zamac TFC and the brass Pearl Flexi.