Yaqi RH2109: Adjustable handle

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ischiapp, Jan 10, 2023.

1. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Herm2502, Enrico, Ron R and 2 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You caught me at a weak moment.
    Ordered.

brit likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

it will go well with the slant old type.;):eatdrink047:.very cool.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Screenshot_2023-01-11-09-11-56-57_0311c9f6806a66343c45622522faa000.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-01-11-09-12-40-21_0311c9f6806a66343c45622522faa000.jpg
    I wondering why the threading looks so different between the video and the picture? Lighting? Or completely different handles? The still frame at the top is from the video.

I'm expecting the one on the bottom, but I'd prefer the one on top. Looks almost like Acme threads, but is probably normal threading, just filed down. Will be interesting to see up close exactly what they did.

Maybe @twhite can chip in with his thoughts?

brit likes this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I have one and it is great in the short position for Riding the bar with a aggressive razor, when extended it goes a fair distance for women to shave their legs possibly or fellows with large hands. I bought mine when they had a live sale and there is a lot of work to make one IMO. The one thing they should of done was make it so it was double nutted or a way of keeping it secured better. But when using it in the shortest setting it works well for myself and is odd ball handle compared to my other handles.

brit, PLANofMAN and ischiapp like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    You would be surprised at how easy and quick it is to cut high quality threads with modern screw making machines, especially in aluminum.

Do the pictures do it justice?

brit likes this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

OK, but the Yaqi pictures seem to show good detail. I mainly use it in the shortest position for my aggressive razors when riding the bar, short and light weight = less leverage and weight >more nimble to work the face with less irritation IMO. I enjoy using it but it is not for everyone!
    Yaqi retracting handle.jpg

I extend it a little when installing blades and removing them, the thread becomes the grip for this task!
    SOTD Dec 10 2022.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    Enrico and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Hmm. I thought it was more like the two piece vintage travel size handles in length. It's nearly a full sized handle in it's short configuration, and longer than a 109 super adjustable when extended.

I think I'm going to like it. I might even order a couple more, to send out @twhite's way. It looks like a really good candidate for modification into an updated rolls razor handle.

twhite likes this.
  10. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Hey they stole my idea . I made a few a couple of years back. No real interest then. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jimjo1031, Ron R and PLANofMAN like this.
  11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

ischiapp and PLANofMAN like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    twhite likes this.
  13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Good for them. Hope they sell a bunch. It was a good idea then as it is now. If you can market, you can sell anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PLANofMAN and ischiapp like this.
  14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It's a bit oversized for what I would consider a travel handle, and calling it adjustable is a bit of a stretch. It's either fully closed or fully extended.

It does lock itself when fully extended. There's some kind of keeper used to keep the two pieces together. I'm guessing the very bottom part unscrews and that is how the top part of the handle was inserted. Looks as though that part was locktited in, so I can't play with it more...

Overall, it's a pretty nice handle. A big step up from the Yaqi stuff I tried in their first year or two of business.

The polishing is excellent, as is the anodizing. The threading could be a bit better, it's on the sloppy side. The value to cost difference is pretty big. It's worth more than the $12 I paid for it.

Ron R likes this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Just thinking out loud ! You almost need a nut to double nut so to lock the desired length wanted I' m thinking! I might take some Teflon tap and make a few wraps to act like a friction lock and should still be able to clean it off if it does not work.

16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Tom said almost the exact same thing when I was talking to him about it an hour ago.

Great minds think alike.

He also said they should have installed a nylon nut on the inside, that would have done the same thing, and smoothed out the screwing and un-screwing.

twhite and Ron R like this.
  17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Yours is much better looking.

Ron R, twhite and PLANofMAN like this.
  18. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Thank you! It was made with LOVE :happy093:

Ron R, jimjo1031 and PLANofMAN like this.
  19. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Tuesday January31 2023

Razor : Yaqi Katana with retracting handle- 2019>, takes 1/2 DE blades, interesting razor, I like to bump blade with a paper blade tuck to make sure it is seated Before tightening. Great close shave this morning!
    Blade : Gillette Astra SP, 1/2 blade SP(2) sharp & smooth.
    Soap : Mitchell's wool fat- light scent with good lather qualities. Makes great ubber lather also.
    Brush : Yaqi "Artic sky " 24mm silver tip badger, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + great lather painter. I like this handle to hold brush and knot is excellent IMO.
    Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave : Fine fresh Vetiver with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
    Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=[​IMG] Excellent shave with my my Yaqi Katana razor with a Gillette Astra SP blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

ischiapp and PLANofMAN like this.