Yard Sale Find

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Knox, Jul 6, 2016.

1. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

dont know if there is other pics, but that could be a toggle to? I know you know what that is, but from the pics I see I cant tell.

chrisbd likes this.
  2. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

You can also tell by the knurling on the handle. An executive will have the same kind of knurling as a Slim.

chrisbd and Herm2502 like this.
  3. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Ok ok. I paid $20 for it. The blade guard needed some work - it was really crooked. I think I have it shaveable. I think I will save some up some cash and send it in for a total service/tune up/gold plating. I just don't have $170 laying around at this time.

Thanks for the replies. It really is a cool piece.

Oh, and it was the only one there.

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

You did pretty good.

chrisbd and Robyflexx like this.
  5. Lilan

Lilan Active Member

Nice one bro!

Robyflexx and chrisbd like this.
  6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Congrats and enjoy. :happy096:

7. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

After tuning the blade guards as best I could to even the gaps, I shaved with it last night.

Now, I have shaved with many razors. Super Speeds, Techs, Kronas, EJs, Feather Popular, and Merkur. This Executive? I had to double check that there was a blade in it! I had it set on 2, with an Astra loaded, and it is the absolute smoothest, best cutting razor I have EVER used - cartridges included.

I don't know what they did in manufacturing these, or why they can't duplicate it, but OH MY GOODNESS !!!! This is a life long razor for me.

I may send it in for Re-Vamping and Nickel plating (the least expensive) just to make it "new" again and protect the exposed brass. Sure, it will lose its gold, but at this point I am not about nostalgia - I am about this amazing piece of quality machinery that is buttery smooth against my face.

Have a great Friday everyone!

8. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I was just told there is Nickel under the gold, so tarnishing is not an issue. It will stay as is!

Robyflexx, chrisbd and macaronus like this.
  9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

It looks nice as is. You cleaned it up nice. It'll get more love now that you have it (they always do). Your a lucky guy,that's a nice razor.

10. chrisbd

chrisbd Well-Known Member

Lucky man! Nice find, especially for the price, and a very good clean up job.

Regards,
    Chris

Robyflexx likes this.
  11. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Damn! That's some good clean up work! :signs107:

ninjack and AGHisBBS like this.
  12. lina

lina New Member

Great deal at $20. Nice Razor too..congrats!

dangermouse and Robyflexx like this.
  13. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Very nice!

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. BradleyD

BradleyD Active Member

Not sure if you've seen these guys but I have a Gillette adjustable I'm thinking of having redone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jorvaljr likes this.
  15. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Yep. Thanks. It is on its way now for a tune up. Decided not to re plate.

16. BradleyD

BradleyD Active Member

Did you use Razor Emporium? I have a 64' Gillette adjustable I want to retune. Let me know how it was when you get it back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I did. Will definitely report when I get it back. The blade guards should be corrected, numbers painted back in, and cleaned / polished even more than I did because I didn't trust myself to take the adjustment knob apart.

18. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Spoke to the woman I bought the razor from today - told her I had sent it in for cleaning and adjustments. She said it was her father's razor, and he had taken it all over the world - Vietnam, Japan, Australia, Taiwan, Hawaii and many other places. It's really cool knowing the history of this one owner razor. I found a rare jewel and know the history of it. I will never sell this baby. I miss it already and can't wait to have it back.

AGHisBBS, ninjack and BradleyD like this.
  19. BradleyD

BradleyD Active Member

Wow very cool! Maybe you can pass it down one day too and keep its journey going!

I'm gonna check some local pawn shops and thrift stores and see what I can find. Yard sales are probably the best bet I'm sure though.

ninjack likes this.