Yates 921: Any Usage Updates After a Year?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TheBurgh, Mar 28, 2022.

1. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

It's been a year or so since the new wave of enthusiasm over Yates Precision Engineering 921 Razor occurred. Here and elsewhere, the razor was generally acclaimed as a very efficient tool, liked by many shavers.

I'm interested to know whether or not this razor has continued to please its users now that the "honeymoon" has ended. If not, why not? What has supplanted it in your razor arsenal? What blades worked best, or worst, with the 921?

Thanks for responding! Shave on!

2. GoodShave

GoodShave Well-Known Member

This is a great question!
    I was not a member here when you asked it so I am curious about other's experience.
    I am still in the honeymoon phase as I just received my 921 two days ago (with the M, H, and EH plates).

3. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

Yes, I'm a bit surprised that there have been no comments. Was also hoping that there might be some comparisons with other modern, mild razors, e.g. Blackbird, ASD2 and Drakkant.

GoodShave likes this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The Blackbird is not a mild razor. Smooth and efficient, yes, but I don't think it's at all mild. It and the ASD2 are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

TheBurgh likes this.
  5. slim6596

slim6596 New Member

My brass H Yates is my favorite but I’ve been eyeballing the Blackbird. I can’t justify buying one currently though. Going into winter, I’m growing a beard so my shaves are reduced to the upper parts of my cheeks and lower parts of my neck. For this, I’m using my Feather SR and Feather Pro blades.

GoodShave and Enrico like this.
  6. GoodShave

I have thought about the Blackbird but I read that my EH plate puts me in Blackbird territory but a smoother shave, so I have avoided the temptation so far. :)
    The Feather SR is a nice barber razor. I have the kamisori version and it is my favorite barber razor.

slim6596 likes this.
  7. ksb63

ksb63 Active Member

Been using my yates for over a year now, and not looking at new razors anymore. Best razor I've used in the 40 plus yrs of shaving the last 10 with a safety razor.

GoodShave and TheBurgh like this.
  8. GoodShave

I received my Yates 921 with the 4" handle back in July 2022 and it is still my favorite DE razor. I picked up the M, H, EH plates when I bought it. I picked up the hybrid plate used (since it was out of stock) and more recently, I picked up the 3.25" bead blasted handle second hand (which I have never seen in stock). I am enjoying that handle more than the 4" handle. I did find that the 4" handle (the original one, not the BYOR version) fits nicely in the Blackland Sabre inkwell stand. The Yates 921 ticks all the check marks for me and I have no desire to buy any more DE razors.

TheBurgh likes this.