Yeaup I'm new

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by KJiggs, Jul 6, 2015.

1. KJiggs

KJiggs Member

Hello everyone. I guess I'm newer than new since I haven't even started wet shaving yet. I've been doing a lot of reading up on and I've decided to make my own inexpensive kit to just test the waters and make sure its something I'm gonna stick with. I have a general idea with how I wanna make my kit but tips for budget safety razor starter kits would be very helpful because I plan on getting started soon. I'd appreciate any help I can get

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Glad that you landed here at TSD, @KJiggs . I'm sure you will fit right in.
    You are sure to save thousands on cartridges over your lifetime. You can then spend it on razors, soaps, and aftershaves.
    Join us on The Shave of the Day thread. It is fun, and you will see all kinds of products.
    And please Mark YOUR location on the TSD map:) - instructions here.

3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome aboard! A true newbie!!!!! Lots of corrupting educating to help with. For an inexpensive starter set I would recommend the Micro Touch One or Van Der Hagen razors, whichever is available at your local Walmart, Target or drug store. Get the Van Der Hagen Deluxe set with bowl, brush and soap and go to work! Total cost to get in about 35 bucks. There are other options too but that is a good starter set. You'll soon find your way to the next level if you hang with us long enough!

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to the den! Check out eBay for a Gillette super speed or a tech, you should be able to get one for $20-25. A good brush is an Omega 10066 under $10. And a stick of Arko is $3. Again welcome!
    Kerry

JoeB, Douglas Carey, NCoxSTL and 2 others like this.
  5. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Welcome to TSD. :)

Douglas Carey, NCoxSTL and KJiggs like this.
  6. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Welcome aboard. Great place for learning. Everyone is here to help.
    Lots of info, lots of encouragement,lots of laughs. Great group.

7. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

welcome to TSD!! depending on where you live the beauty supply stores usually sell DE razors for around $10 and some quality brushes can be found pretty cheap ( Omega, Semouge, etc.) I would suggest trying it more than once if you don't like it at first. it takes time to get the angle right and not to use pressure like with cartridge razors. Van Der Hagen can also be found locally for a few bucks. the enitial start up cost is a little higher than cartridge but wet shaving gear can last a long time especially the razor. some people around here use razors that are over 100 years old. Wet shaving has changed the way a lot of people feel about shaving and it becomes a peaceful moment to relax. good luck on your journey into Wet Shaving and welcome to TSD!!:signs046:

8. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Welcome!

9. KJiggs

KJiggs Member

OK marked myself on the map. Thanks for the warm welcome and all the tips. I like how helpful everyone is haha. I can tell I'm gonna be on here quite a bit

wristwatchb and NCoxSTL like this.
  10. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Welcome!
    You've come to the right place.
    TSD is great place for wetshavers!
    Cheers!
    - RT

Garry's Sample Shop has an inexpensive starter kit and a simple way to get samples while you begin the hunt for your favs. I used it when I started in May.

KJiggs, Bama Samurai and NCoxSTL like this.
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

hello and welcome

Douglas Carey likes this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Welcome to TSD!

13. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Lots of good advice above!
    Check out Mantic59's channel on YouTube for lots of information and techniques. => *click* <=

welcome.jpg

14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    For a budget starter kit, I would suggest that you get all your stuff in one stop to save money on shipping. Any one of these sites will carry everything you need.

www.Italianbarber.com
    www.Shoeboxshaveshop.com
    www.Bullgooseshaving.com
    www.Westcoastshaving.com
    www.Leesrazors.com

I also recommend that you pick and choose your starter items rather than go with any "starter" sets suggested on those sites.

Three final recommendations.

If you go with a boar brush, pick a Semogue. Either the 620 or the 830 model, they'll last longer than a wooden handled brush; and Semogue is hands down, the best boar manufacturer out there.

If you go with Badger instead, pick up one of the www.WhippedDog.com brushes. Silvertip or High Mountain, doesn't really matter. It's a budget brush with premium performance.

Finally, I highly recommend starting with a vintage Gillette flare tip Super Speed. They can be picked up for under $20, and are the best starter razor out there. There's a reason Gillette sold the flare tip for over 50 years. It's a damn fine razor.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    wristwatchb, KJiggs, Rufus T. and 2 others like this.
  15. exexpat93

exexpat93 Member

I started with a Van Der Hagen kit. After checking it out the Mug and the Brush are the only thing of value in it. A Mug or other piece of Kitchen Gear can be substituted for $3, the soap for $3, and the brush for $12. I have a metal multi toothbrush holder for my razor and I am using the cheap plastic VDH brush holder.

KJiggs likes this.
  16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

tsdwelcome2[1].jpg
    TSD is a great site with shavers ready will and able to help. You can see by the above posts that there are lots of opinions on what to purchase. Everyone is different and has different likes and dislikes. You'll enjoy your time here, and enjoy a new journey.:happy088::happy088:

KJiggs likes this.
  17. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD! I started with a Razorock Mission razor from ItalianBarber.com and found it to be a good performing razor at a good price. It also includes 20 blades, so that helps to get you started as well.

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

20. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Welcome aboard. I started with a kit from http://sampleshop.blogspot.com/ Garry's Sample shop. You'll receive a vintage Gillette razor, 10 assorted blades, Omega brush, Arko stick and some aftershave.

Good luck and do keep us informed of your journey!

Rufus T. likes this.