Yesterday's Purchases

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by jb2016, Mar 2, 2016.

1. jb2016

jb2016 Active Member

Hey y'all,

Here's some stuff I grabbed yesterday!

bbadcb3b-3657-4eba-995d-df3d065b1ef1.jpg

I had the chance to visit one of my favorite barbershop/supply stores today (I visit them once in a blue moon) and scored some great finds. I didn’t know this, but it turns out that they used to carry Tim’s Soaps, and still had a few jars left over, so after smelling them all, I picked up the second to last Vintage jar. It was definitely a bittersweet moment because it’s really sad to see when artisan soap makers go out of business. (I just found about Tim’s closing yesterday.)

On a lighter note, I was also glad to see they still had one more box of the Royall Sample Pack. They’ve been hard to come by (for me at least). This one was previously opened and used as a display, but the owner assured me that none of the contents were used (he checked them). The aftershaves smell great!

They also had a good selection of Stirling Soaps. Recently, I purchased a few items for myself off of Stirling’s site, but at the time I didn’t know that the Executive Man line was modeled after Creed Aventus. Luckily, they had both a jar and a bottle of balm left over [the splash sold out the day before yesterday :( … ] , so as soon as I took a whiff of these, I knew I had to have them!

Glad to see they also had a jar of Colonia de Agrumi. I remember Chris Bailey raving about the scent of this soap, and man, was he on point! Love the smell of this soap! Recently, I had picked up a Grand Havana, and about a year before, I picked The Drunken Goat as well (with the old label).

After getting some suggestions for Vetivers, I ended up picking up a bottle of Fine’s Clean Vetiver - it has a really nice, light and fresh scent to it :D. Pretty sure I'll be getting more vetiver based aftershaves/colognes later.

Picked up the blades after talking to the owner about his experiences with them, so I thought I’d give them a try.

The Thayer’s I bought will be used to experiment making some homegrown aftershaves, etc.

Finally, the KC Atwood Aftershave Splash was bought on Sunday, which was the same day I bought the Vintage Lucky Tiger Shampoo for Men. Tried out the A/S today and it's great stuff!

2. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Nice write up...super haul, enjoy! :happy036:

3. jb2016

jb2016 Active Member

Thank you @Robyflexx !

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

:signs021: Great additions for your den!

jb2016 and Robyflexx like this.
  5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Great stuff. I'm jealous that you have a supply house nearby.

6. jb2016

jb2016 Active Member

Thank you Charlie!

wristwatchb and Robyflexx like this.
  7. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Tremendous haul! I'm jealous!

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That should hold you for a while.:happy088:

9. jb2016

jb2016 Active Member

Thanks Perry! Lol

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. jb2016

jb2016 Active Member

LOL... I'm so guilty of saying that to myself numerous times these past two years... It never ends!

I go on these little breaks, and then I start watching the Youtube videos again, then just jump right back in and march full steam ahead with buying new stuff.

I'm at that point now where I'm going to start unloading stuff real soon. I'll keep you guys posted when that happens.

Jayaruh and Robyflexx like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Time for some PIFs.

12. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Very nice haul! :happy088:

13. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

May I ask where they are located? I never been to a barber supply shop. I've always see beauty supply shops but never barber.

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. jb2016

jb2016 Active Member

The word "supply" was not the best description for this place. It's a barbershop that happens to sell artisan shaving stuff as well. They're located outside of LA County.

RyX and Robyflexx like this.
  15. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Thanks. I'm outside of LA and wanted to visit it. Thanks anyway.

Robyflexx likes this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

That is a great resource! Being able to hold a product in hand, smell the scent of a soap or aftershave sure beats ordering off the web.
    While I've found "Beauty Supply" shops to carry meager amounts of Pinaud products, it's 99% womens stuff with no artisan soaps and 2 -5 types of DE blades.

17. jb2016

jb2016 Active Member

Hi Jorvaljr,

Sorry for not disclosing the place's name earlier, but it's called The Handlebar Barbershop & Apothecary in Thousand Oaks. Since you live near Pasadena, that's almost an hour away from you without traffic. In case anyone was wondering, they currently carry brands such as Stirling, Charlotte Soaps, Tim's Soaps, Mickey Lee Soapworks, TOBS, Proraso, Fine, Royall, Thayers, and definitely a few others I'm overlooking. They also have a good selection of DE blades and razors (Merkur and Parker mostly I think) as well as Parker shavettes. If you haven't been there before, I would definitely suggest calling them first to find out what their inventory is like on that day/week. Worth mentioning, I think their barbershop side still offers a free pint of craft beer if you get your hair cut or beard trimmed with them, but I would double check with them first.

RyX and Robyflexx like this.