YMMV--sometimes extremely

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by fishgutmartyr, Dec 19, 2009.

1. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

I'm going through a sampler pack of blades right now. I found one that, after checking out reviews, had enough that were considered good and at the price I'm looking to spend when I finally choose one.

I guess I'm pretty brutal on blades. I like to shave daily, and when I do, every hair above my shoulders goes, with the exception of a beard on my chin and moustache. That's a lot of territory to cover, so I'm not exactly looking for 20 shaves at 3 passes each.

So far, I've really liked 2 of the 3 blades I've tried. Derbys are as good as reported, and are as dependable as I've seen (although admittedly, I haven't seen much). The thread about there being a difference between batches has me nervous about them, however.

But I love Astras. Using VDH soap, they were as good, if not slightly better than Derbys. But when I used Tabac, it was no comparison--and that with a blade on its second use! The Israeli Personnas, Dorco 301s, and Wilkinson Classics really have their work cut out for them if they want to out-do Astras.

The one that really disappointed were the 7 a.m.'s. It started out well enough on my cheeks, but the blade I used was nothing spectacular. Worse, after doing my face and neck, I could literally feel the blade dulling as I shaved my head. Frankly, I got better results from the blades I bought from Rite-Aid. I realize that was a single blade, and maybe a different one would give better results; but the shave was so off-putting that I really don't want to try them again.

What was funny is that the reviews on here had 7 a.m.s as a pretty solid blade. I'm not saying anyone was wrong, but when people on this board say "YMMV," I never dreamed that it could vary this much! The learning curve continues...

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :eek: You shave your eyelashes and brows?

3. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

:happy102

Actually, I curl those...:rofl

4. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

One thing that somebody pointed out to me was that you shouldn't confuse the 7 AM blades with the 7 O'Clocks. I've got both 7 O'Clock yellow and green varieties waiting to be tried, but haven't got any 7 AMs.

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I'm pretty much in agreement with your opinions on those blades. I'll say I tend to use different blades on my face versus my head. Astras and 7 O'Clocks are my favorite face blades. IPs and Dorco 301s are my favorite head blades. 7AM and Sharp blades dull amazingly fast and I agree aren't good for much IMHO.

6. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

As long as you aren't braiding your nose hair, you should be ok. :happy102

7. michiganlover

michiganlover Member

The 7am blades are not known for their longevity. I have used them before, not as smooth as some, and and not as sharp as some. For the most part, a use it once, and toss it blade.

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I find strangely enough that I get 3 really good and close shaves with the 7 AM's, then I have to change it. I also have a very tough beard.

9. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

I just tried an IP, and thought it was OK. It just seems to be missing something: you don't get the touch/sound sensations you do with an Astra. You can feel an Astra working, hear it.

You simply don't get that with the IP; and while it did a pretty good job, it just feels more utilitarian than anything else. But I can see where you're going as far as a head blade is concerned; it does seem to be more forgiving in the back of the head; although I haven't had a cut from any of the blades so far.

10. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I think that's a good description of the Personna line and of the Israeli Personna in particular.

11. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

I know, I know...resurrecting a dead thread-- but I didn't want to clutter the board with dozens of individual comments on razor blades. But I'm winding down on my first sampler, and I've learned quite a bit since the first post. For instance, a single ranking of blades doesn't really work--even if it's just for your own purposes.

Astra
    Wilkinson Classic
    Derby
    Red Personnas
    Dorco 301
    BIC Platinums
    American Personnas (Wally World, Rite Aid, Walgreen Wonders)
    7 a.m.
    Sharp

But that's really just a ranking for shaving my face--Shaving my head I would rank BICs much higher, and Wilkinsons much lower. ChemErik, I was confused by your post on this thread until recently, but now I get it. BICs really are a tugging mess on my face, but are one-pass wonders on the old noggin.

Getting another sampler pack, so I should be able to add to this list. By the way, the head list would go like this:

Astra
    BIC Platinums
    Derby
    Dorco 301
    Red Personnas
    Wilkinson Classic
    American Personnas (Wally World, Rite Aid, Walgreen Wonders)
    7 a.m.
    Sharp

12. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

The hard dried-oil coating that makes facial hair so tough to shave isn't present on the head. So, yeah those hairs are much easier for a blade to cut and you don't need as sharp of a blade to avoid tugging.

Since you like the Astra blades so much, as do I, I'll suggest a couple good blades to try:
    -7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (yellow)
    -LORD Platinum

13. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

Great! My coming sampler has LORDS blades in it. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the yellow 7 O'Clocks, just the green ones. This pack should be fun (who would have thought dragging sharp pieces of metal around your head could be considered fun!):happy102

14. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

One other thing to think about: blade ratings vary according to your razor. I didn't believe this until I experienced it. Example: I loved Derby blades early on. Changed razors and they didn't work anymore.

Blades are very, very YMMV (sorry Ray.)

15. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

I hear you. Derby's are amazing in my slant, but in the adjustable--meh.

16. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

Well, I tried Bluebirds. I thought they were pretty sharp, gave me a very close WTG pass. Did one more pass ATG, and left it there. It didn't seem like a bad shave, until a half-hour later. The burn, the burn...even after the balm. And to make things worse, it wasn't as close as I expected.

Second shave was worse than the first. More burn, and weepers. Blood on the towel.

I need to try a second blade, but I wasn't about to do it right after that shave.

So I popped in an Astra Stainless Steel last night: they just don't make bad blades. Smooth and effective. No burn.

On a side, I also tried Cella and Proraso eucalyptus this week. I can easily become an Italian soap fan.

17. fishgutmartyr

fishgutmartyr Member

The more I think about it, the more I need to go with a second Bluebird. The first time I used it, was in my Gillette adjustable set at 4. The second time, I set it to 5.:ashamed001

Went the wrong way. I'll give it a go at 3 when I'm ready to switch blades again, and see how it goes.

Second shave with the Astra Superior Stainless this morning--I think I like these even more than the Superior Platinums. Didn't even really need to use balm this morning, and still a very smooth shave.

My love affair with the italian soft soaps grows--both Proraso and Cella do a great job protecting my face; though I prefer the scent and menthol in the Proraso. I love Tabac, but these are really growing on me.