YMMV

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Shawna, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

What does one mean by "YMMV"? What does this acronym mean exactly and how does it help to enjoy a better shave? To the novice wet shaver, the amount of acronyms you are exposed to one a daily basis can be daunting; YMMV, DE, SE, ASM, AS, ASB.. It’s a lot. “Your mileage may vary” or “YMMV” is a common sight when perusing any shave forum.

What does it mean and where does it come from? YMMV is terminology that originated in the 70’s from the EPA’s rating on automobiles and their fuel economy. The original readings were based on laboratory testing rather than actual road testing. There were consumers who started seeing differences in their actual usage than the EPA mileage figures. Upset customers who were experiencing less than favorable actual usage started to spring up a faster and faster rate. Automakers with favorable EPA ratings would tout the ratings in commercials, but the announcer would often add, “Your mileage may vary” so the automobile company could avoid possible claims against false advertisement.

Wet shaving … what is it in this day and age? A lost art or an economic necessity? A razor, a brush, a blade, some soap, and a receptacle to whip it in. All of these items are necessary for the type of shaving we enjoy using here at The Shave Den. In varying combinations, we use these items daily, weekly, monthly but YMMV in how often these items are used. Sometimes the brush is skipped and the soap is smoothed directly on to the face; we are in a hurry and out of time. At times, we secretly whip out a cart to add a finishing touch, or heck; we just skip it all together and go about the day with some stubble. We are busy after all!

The options of our hobby; our way of life; our addiction are too many to mention! Brushes come in many shapes, sizes, thicknesses, animals, textures … body, heft, loft... The soaps we rely on come in many all manner of textures, scents, and vessels. You name it, it’s available. But so often, we say, "YMMV" when offering advice to our fellow wet-shavers when we are touting our shaving wares. Why is that? Are we like the automobile companies and don’t want any negative reviews of what we personally love and treasure?

YMMV … It is the mantra preached on any shave forum. Skin types are different, hair types are rarely the same. Water can be soft or hard, this can definitely makes a difference in shave experience. Sensitivity to color, fragrance, and sharpness of the blade; these are all are important things to consider when trying something new. We don’t want to recommend the one thing we love, we hold true, and that works for us, and we hold above all else; someone may be disappointed in how it performs for them. We are quick to offer advice and this has helped many a new wet shaver find their way to “their” shave, but often times the caveat of “YMMV” is prevalent ... there isn’t one thing wrong with that.

So, don’t shy away from a new experience, a new texture, a new scent. It may just change your life, but Hey, YMMV!

Mechguy and ChemErik like this.
  2. Brian

Brian Active Member

Very nicely put.

3. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Thank you, Brian! ;)

4. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
  5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Shawna, because of my poor English, it took me a long time to figure out the meaning of YMMV. In fact, it was my brother-in-law, who's perfectly fluent in English who helped me. He also has been helping me to do my posting in some instances, because I would not be able to do it without his help. :ashamed001

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Jeff, thank you for "going the extra mile!" I enjoy your posts!

7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Ah, thanks so much - you're a nice guy to say this! :)

8. GreyBeard

GreyBeard Member

I had a Capt. once that conducted a whole maintenace meeting using only catch phrases. I sat in the back of the room and almost lost my self control (and stripes). The guy was a walking stand up routine. One of those guys that only needs one other person and a brick wall to stand in front of to be happy. :happy102

9. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

Good job BG!

+1 on that - I enjoy your posts!

10. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

yes, very well put, i already knew those facts, but i have no idea where or how i knew them from, very nice to have your knowledge reaffirmed.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Good job, Shawna. Well said. :happy088:happy088

12. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I see YMMV as a double edge sword, some people cling to this notion as a motive to boost a certain product or make it look worse than it really is and I have no idea why. :happy102

Its safe to say, like you mentioned we all are different!

13. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I think of YMMV as a liability waiver, that frees us up, to give our honest opinions without sounding like we are the last word or have the definitive opinion....It's just my opinion, hopfully this may be of some help to you...

BG, I love your writting style...a very enjoyable read...Must be a very creative vibe going on at yawl's place...:) Or is it the MENTHOL??

14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

That is a great article, Shawna! Thanks for that.

I think using "YMMV" in the way you described is more CYA than anything else.

Then it would be best to avoid the use of acronyms. It is easier for a poster to write in proper English than for a newbie to decipher non-standard abbreviations.

15. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Wonderful article, Shawna!

I agree. So what's CYA mean?

16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Cover Your (Another word for Hind Quarters)

17. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:think002: Goodbye?

Ah.. makes sense now, thank you! :happy088:

Great job Shawna, the writing ability is strong in the Stryker household! :happy096:

Now take it down before Ray sees it! :scared001:

18. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Without a doubt.

19. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

In the strict sense of the YMMV acronym, most of the expected variance is caused by the individuals' driving technique. External factors such as added weight, kind of gasoline, etc were factors but to a lesser degree. I think this is paralleled in shaving, too. You can give two barbers the same supplies and my same face, but after shaving me they will still disagree on what supplies would have performed better for them. As I tinker with my own shaving and shaving-related (honing, stropping, lathering, etc) techniques, I sometimes find that tools which did not work so well before work better now, and vice versa.