You are loyal to a blade, or curiosity 'spurs you on?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by arizona dreams, Sep 30, 2010.

1. I state that are fairly new in being experimented with the razor blade. Sometimes I read comments in phrases like: "I am fine with this blade, makes a great beard, but 'I will try this other brand ...." After all it costs nothing to try, but 'cause chances with a razor blade never tried it, and when it is' familiar with the dear, faithful, classic own blade? And you think 'more' curiosity 'or and' a genuine desire to change the blade? If anyone has had this experience can 'answer thanks!

2. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

When I use DE blades, I have chosen one particular brand that I stick with and continue to purchase when needed. I have tried several, but not all, brands and stick with the blade that gives me the most comfortable and smoothest shave with my DE razor. I guess that makes me brand loyal.

3. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

as time progresses I have learned that messing with different blades is not really a good Idea well at least for me it isn't. everyone's facial hair is different some may have fine hair others may have thicker hair. personally I have tried most of the well know brands out in the market but I have settled for about 3 top blades and don't really wanna use anything else, just because they really give me a smooth BBS shave with no discomfort.
    My top blade is 7 O'clock Yellows this blade seems to last along time and I always seem to get an excellent shave especially in the neck area which is always the hardest for me. by the way I use an 89l

4. thanks for your response! I think you're right, but better a few good knives!!

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I like trying new blades. I bought my 3 current favorites in bulk (total of about 1000 blades) so I always have a good blade to fall back on, but order a couple packs of different blades anytime I order something. It's nice to try new blades as one of them may replace the current favorite.

6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:sihns011 Except for having 1000 blades stockpiled! :eek:

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I am working on my disorder. Just sold 200 injector blades so I am down under 1k at least until the Iridiums show up...

8. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I think you also have to try different blades with each razor you acquire to find the right combo for it. The blade that worked so well for my super speeds was just an awful performer in the slim adjustable no matter what the setting,but it loves the derby so I ordered some today. In a nut shell unless you flat out have no interest in trying new razors I say keep a sampler handy.

9. geneaut

geneaut Member

I'm like Dale ... any time I order something from a shave vendor I'll add a pack of blades I've never tried. Not that I need to ( Astras and Iridiums match up well with the 2 razors in my collection ), but just for the fact I enjoy trying new stuff.

I recently tried out the Red Pack Personnas from Bullgoose that way and they've made their way into my rotation.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. But I think the most I have of any one blade brand is 70 or so.

11. :eek: haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 1000 blades? cabbage, you will need to spend more 'time to shave that to work .... great! ;)

12. geneaut

geneaut Member

I also like having extra blades for trades, PIFs, and the like.

13. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I also have a stock of favorites (only soemthing in the 250-300 range right now), but I'll grab a pack or two of new blades to try when making an order at one of my favorite vendors.

14. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

I have tried a few different blades when I initially started shaving with a DE. After a short period of Trial & Error, I have found that Feathers do agree most with me (or ist it the other way around :confused::rolleyes:) and have stuck with them ever since. And no, I don't feel the urge to try any other blades, even though I don't know all of them yet.

15. DonR

DonR Active Member

"You are loyal to a blade, or curiosity 'spurs you on?"

My answer is Yes

16. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I am not "loyal" to a blade, but I have a few that I am fond of, like Dorco 301, Gillette Super Thin, Perma-Sharps, and my new favorite, Rapira Voskhod. All of these blades I either have bought in bulk, or will buy in bulk.

I like Feather's, but I burned myself out on them a month or so ago by shaving with them exclusively for a few weeks.

I also am like others who have posted in this thread, I will grab a pack of a blades I have not tried before when placing an order, and I also like to have a few different brands laying around to PIF.

17. I'm fine with red personna and iridium super, but 'I bought several other blades, we say that the curiosity' won, but 'it is clear, the favorites are the ones .... the next I would try are the bic chom platinum, and Gillette 7 o'clok yellow ...

18. jmollica

jmollica New Member

I am almost 1/2 way through my first sampler pack. Nothing fantastic, just good shaves so far, and 2 really bad ones. I am on the Shark Super Stainless and I may have found my blade, but then there are still more to try - oh what to do! I have to try the rest, there may be a better blade.

However, once I am through the 25 diff types of blades (I only bought 2 of each), I will stick with the the best one and stock up.

19. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

+1, same here.

20. jgkeegan

jgkeegan Member

Most of the time, I rotate between blades, changing brands each time I change blades (which is after three shaves).

The blades most commonly in my rotation are Feather, Kai, Astra, Irridium, Bolzano, with occasional touches of Bluebird and Red Personna. Lately, I have been favoring the Astras.

--james