You Gents know of a video

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by BIG SAM, Sep 8, 2017.

1. BIG SAM

BIG SAM Member

that i can buy that goes through the goes through the whole process of sharpen straight razors? I can watch all kinds of utubes but seems like they all do it a little different.

Billyfergie likes this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Nope. Go to YouTube and watch all the "Straight Razor Honing" videos you want, for free. The reason each is different is because there are many different techniques, when it comes to honing.

Billyfergie and Paul76 like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

:signs011:

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

They are all different. I tried looking at tons of videos and taking a little here and a little there. Best piece of advise I got was to pick one person's method, and stick with that one method until you are getting good results. I started with vids from @gssixgun.

ninjack, RezDog, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

ninjack, Billyfergie and Paul76 like this.
  6. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

The videos from @gssixgun was where I learned the most from, and also where I got my start on honing. Watch them quite a few times before attempting to do it yourself. And also I would suggest picking up a cheap straight to use for practice, just because it can take a while to achieve an edge that will shave alright. Use a 40x loupe to look at the edge, so you can see the progress. And send a razor off to be honed so you know what you need to work towards.

Billyfergie likes this.
  7. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

And also it wouldn't hurt to mention what part of the world you live, there might be someone near who can help you in person

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

The Videos from Glen are Great & Crystal Clear..He Talks about the Subject of Pressure which is Often Aloof in Most Video's..Whoever You Decide to Follow..Stick to One Person & the System they are Using..Master that System..In My Books..You Need a Constant System to Learn On then One Can Be Free to Find You're Own Way..Jumping Around Will Only Confuse the Matter..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

9. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

Well it seems there are a lot of us that started with videos by Gssixgun. There are a ton of people with videos, and some of them are quacks. There are also a ton of variations on honing. There are many paths, but you can only travel one at a time. I also started with shave ready razors and got my shave technique down a little before I started honing. Both honing and shaving are skills and as such take a little time to figure out. Trying to learn both at the same time is a monumental task. People do it, but many also get frustrated and give up.

Billyfergie likes this.
  10. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    The vid you really want to watch is this one

I personally think it and my Kamisori vids are the best of the all, it shows the art of honing from a whole different aspect.
    It can sometimes be very deceiving watching YouTube experts show things and make them look "Oh so Easy" I was watching a vid on carpentry about a week before Mark came up to the Ranch.
    Every time that guy said "Just do this and it will come out fine" I was yelling at the computer saying "You wanna bet " so the idea struck me to vid Mark learning to hone rather than to watch another vid of me doing the same thing over and over :)

ninjack, RezDog, dustmite and 3 others like this.
  11. pundi64

pundi64 Well-Known Member

YOU TUBE has all that you need (Free)

Billyfergie likes this.
  12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Maybe narrowing it down to reliable sources would help.

Billyfergie likes this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Written like a martial artist.

gssixgun and Billyfergie like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

He did. They're on YouTube

PickledNorthern and Billyfergie like this.