You gotta try this stuff!

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Michael, May 18, 2007.

1. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I have to say that this morning's shave may well have been my best ever! It's now about 10 hours later and my face is still BBS (almost)!

I've used Taylor's Mr. Taylor a few times and, while I enjoy the scent, the quality of the shave hasn't been the greatest. Actually, I shouldn't blame Mr. Taylor as I really believe that most of the products we use are pretty much equally adept. It's my opinion that a poor shave is mostly the result of user error...poor technique, rushing through the shave, poor judgement as to when it's time to change the blade, poor soap/cream-to-water ratio, etc. Anyway, I decided to give Mr T another go...With a twist.

I used Mr T, my awesome EJ Chatsworth razor (definitely my favorite) with a 3-4 day old Derby (also my favorite) and the B&B Finest. The difference was Proraso Pre-shave cream. I picked up a small tub at Target's clearance rack a few weeks ago, but hadn't tried it til this morning. The scent really is unpleasant, IMHO, which is why I hadn't tried it until now...eucalyptus and camphor just don't do it for me.

But OMG, what a shave!! Wet my face, then massaged the Proraso in with my fingers until it was absorbed, then lathered and shaved as usual. Absolutely awesome! I used way too much though and it took some doing to work it all in. Going to try about a pea-sized dollop tomorrow. I'm really not sure what it does, but as long as it keeps on doing it, I'm sold!

As with anything, your results may vary (for that matter, MY results may vary), but as far as I know, Proraso was the only thing I did differently today. Smells almost exactly like Noxzema. Hmm, I wonder if I should try some of that tomorrow?! :D

2. Will

Will Nevermind

I think DUDER is also an Avid Fan of this.

3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I used to like the Proraso pre/dopo cream, but I just took a dislike to anything Proraso now. I still have a green tube of the shaving cream that'll last me for umpteen years.

4. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

:rofl

My opine: great smell, nice cooling......but is completely worthless as a preshave, and served only as a gunker-upper to the razor head and caused friction. [​IMG]

5. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Indeed. I use the Proraso Pre-Post every day, at the end of my shower, before I lather and shave.

6. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

I use this stuff daily as a pre-shave, but I honestly can't tell any difference if I don't use it. I'm about halfway through my jar, and I probably won't replace it, especially now that it's not readily available at Target.

7. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Great SMELL?! :signs113 No gunk for me either. You're not supposed to use the whole jar at once, Joe! :rolleyes: It's like Brylcreem... a little dab'll do ya. And, if you massage it in til it's absorbed...

Having said that, today's shave was again very smooth, but with some irritation this time. In short, not as good as yesterday. Used the same everything (except the brush). I think I went one day too long with the blade. Don't know how anyone gets a full WEEK out of any of 'em. Best I seem to be able to do is half that. Mostly Derby's, occasionally a Feather or Sharp. Tomorrow, a fresh Derby.

As I said...for that matter, MY results may vary!

8. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Thanks for the tip ;)

**PS - did you know that if you re-arrange the letters in "a little dab'll do ya", you get -------> totally bald? ideal!

:happy102

9. Will

Will Nevermind

And I thought I had too much time on my hands. :rolleyes:

10. Rufus

Rufus New Member

You should also try Noxzema Original (make sure you get the right one as they make several under the Noxzema name) it smells and feels like Proraso pre-shave but it's a lot cheaper and just as effective. I smear a little bit on after wetting my face and then lather right on top. I also use it as a post-shave if my skin feels beaten up after washing my face with cold water and before applying AS, ASB, etc.

11. fritz

fritz New Member

Essential! For me...

I also use it every shave, except for a few when I'm trying something different. For me, at least, it makes an enormous difference in the quality of my shave. Probably, if you have a tough, wiry, and oily beard, then you'll see the most difference. Used properly, and with hot towels especially, it breaks down the oily coat so the whiskers can be softened by soaking up water and soap.

Now, of course, if you don't have a lot of oil and/or your whiskers are not like wire, then you won't see much effect. All together now: "YMMV!":D