Your #1 piece of advice for a noob - in 3 sentences or less

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Malacoda, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Malacoda

Malacoda Active Member

Hi Gents,

I've been reading through threads like crazy the past few days in a desperate attempt to pacify my anxiousness while waiting for my new DE razor and brush (It's quite silly really, here I am a 38 year old feeling like a kid at Xmas - all wound up because a couple of MUCH desired new toys are on the way...)...

...but, I find myself still craving additional bits of insight from those more experienced with DE wet shaving.

Instead of posting typical noob question threads though, I thought I'd at least try to somehow make it a little more fun and interesting for respondents. On the spur of the moment, here's what I came up with:

In three sentences or less (e.g. about 30 words), if you could only give a noob ONE piece of advice, what would it be and why?

Maybe you'll find it much too easy, maybe you'll find it a bit more challenging than it seems. In any case, your insights will be appreciated.

2. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Take your time and enjoy your shave; it can be a wonderful experience. Have fun!

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Enjoy the ride. Light pressure is number one rule to me. Practice makes perfect.

Fuzzy

4. Will

Will Nevermind

How about 1.

Just shave baby!

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

BULLY!!!

6. du212

du212 Well-Known Member

7. MN_Nick

MN_Nick Member

As a person fairly new to traditional wet shaving my advice would be:

Don't be scared.

When I first started a couple months ago I thought I would end up with a neck full of flesh wounds, but in reality it wasn't that difficult.

8. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

A good lather is half the shave and slow is good :D

9. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Practice, practice, practice making lather (even when you aren't shaving)
    ideally 0 pressure
    pay attention to the direction of your beard grain (it isn't the same across your face)

10. CSBudzi

CSBudzi Member

I feel like i'm writing a haiku. 30 words or less is tough. Being real new this is what is screwing up my shaves.

Practice technique before you try different soaps, brushes, blades, Straights. ETC. Too much change will mess you up. Once you've honed technique then reward yourself with different products to try.
    C. S. Budzi

11. hunnymonster

hunnymonster Member

1. Preparation is key - make sure you get your beard properly hydrated before you start.
    2. Slow down - it's not a race to slice your face.
    3. Change only one thing at a time if you're experimenting.

12. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

A haiku you say... OK, lets try this again

Easy on pressure
    Understand grain direction
    Perfect your lather

13. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Don't get discouraged if you don't have BBS shaves right away, those will come after you nail your technique and razor/blade combo.

14. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

15. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

+1 :happy102

16. Malacoda

Malacoda Active Member

Awesome - keep 'em coming folks!

:happy096 You know, with the right picture that would make for an awesome billboard Hunnymonster.

If I get the time, I may have to consider turning the responses this generates into some kind of quick-reference for noobs - 'The Newbie Wet Shaver's 10 Commandments' sticky post or something...

17. techni

techni New Member

Good prep, no pressure, short strokes, enjoy!

18. Drew

Drew Member

"But it's just shaving,"
    say those who don't know better.
    My response: "it's art."

19. Zach

Zach New Member

Great topic.

"Don't listen to anyone else, find your own way"

20. Compa

Compa Member

Practice your lather as much as you need and never rush on shave preparation!