Your #1 piece of advice for a noob - in 3 sentences or less

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Malacoda, Oct 13, 2009.

1. harlekin

harlekin New Member

Rather than repeating the sage advice of everyone else here, I'll mention one thing that I picked up that really improved the quality of my shave.

Short strokes! Once I started using shorter strokes in my problem areas, I got a much better shave. Much closer and much less irritation. Especially on ATG passes.

2. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

Only trust your face, it will tell you everything you need to know about your technique your razor and your blade.

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I like that one too.

Fuzzy

4. Sir Critic

Sir Critic Member

Don't be afraid to try something new. Example - try a different DE blade in your razer.
    Never give up.
    Finally - get yourself a styptic "pencil"

BTW - nice idea for a thread

5. giogolf

giogolf New Member

Been using a DE for 15 or so years but dont claim to be an expert;) But here is my advice:

1. Relax and go slow
    2. Take your time and Prepare your face (clean, and soften with warm water)
    3. Use a good soap and or foam, and make a good lather

Have fun!

6. Blades

Blades New Member

Good thread, and good advice.
    I have only been wetshaving about a year now, so I don't have much insight, still learning; but I want to share my opinion also. :)

Be cheap if you want to, try new stuff that is marked down.
    Try not to be cheap on a brush, that is worth the investment.
    If work allows, wait a day or two between shaves when first starting out.

Good luck and enjoy!!

Jason

7. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

Even if it's odd or uncomfortable at first, know that wetshaving classically will eventually prove its worth to you.

8. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

1. Let the weight of the razor do the work
    2. Don't try to stretch blades out too long
    3. Take your time, have fun
    4. Every shave won't be BBS, if that's your standard you'll be disappointed. My shaves range from 3-5 passes when shooting for BBS to casual 2 pass affairs when I'm pressed for time. If you do 4 passes every day, your face probably won't tolerate it for very long.
    5. Regardless of what anyone says, unless you smell like Swisher Sweets, Ben Gay or a beer fart, you almost certainly do NOT smell like an old man.

9. MarkP

MarkP Member

I guess it time for me to add my 2 cents.BE PATIENT & BE SLOW And above all ENJOY YOURSELF!!

10. Malacoda

Malacoda Active Member

Well, about 5 shaves in now (rought 2 weeks worth as I'm an every-other-day shaver ... although that may changing to everyday soon seeing how the addiction is growing) and am absolutely loving it so far...

Learning more and more with each shave. It's getting easier with each shave. And I'm really, really liking the weight and feel of the custom cooncatbob handle and replated NEW head.

Now I just have to learn to control the impulse to reach for my wallet so the addiction doesn't get out of hand (SO many creams, soap, AS's, brushes, and razors to try...).

Thanks for all the insights. Keep 'em coming if you've got 'em.

11. flylot

flylot New Member

When in trouble, seek advise from TSD.

12. bandit82ta

bandit82ta New Member

Good prep and lather is not overrated. Take your time or there maybe blood or soreness. Don't expect against the grain or bbs for a while due to technique.

13. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

I would say,
    enjoy shaving, be patient and work on your technique and would get good results.
    Also don't get frustrated when blood occur, because yes, it would happen.
    That's why they sell styptic pencil.

14. MÜHLE-Man

MÜHLE-Man Member

3 sentences or less from another 38y old that just started DE shaving this year. Have fun with the shave, making sure to explore as many Creams and Soaps or software as you can. You do not have to spend a lot of money to get good products. Your shaves will get better every day and you will wonder why you didn't start DE shaving 20 years ago.

15. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Read the 5th edition of Leisureguy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving, ideal for newbs.

16. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

Take
    Your
    Time

17. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Learn to face lather first, regardless of whether you're starting with a soap or a cream. It's easier to tell when you're getting it right.
    That's a personal opinion, with which some may disagree; I just know it made things a lot easier for me.

Williams Warrior likes this.
  18. m0j0j0eman

m0j0j0eman Active Member

:signs011:

19. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

The best advice +1.

20. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Captian Necro-Post rides again! Hooooooo!

Dridecker and swarden43 like this.