Your advice: Feather AS-D2 vs Rockwell 6S

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Johan M, Dec 20, 2017.

?

Buy the Feather AS-D2

1. Yes

38.9%
  2. Buy the Rockwell 6S

38.9%
  3. Buy Blackbird

5.6%
  4. Buy Non of the above

16.7%
  5. Buy a Timeless

5.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Johan M

Johan M Member

I am thinking about buying one of these razors.

I have sensitive skin and shave not aggressive. Now mostly with a Mekur Digress on 1 or 2.

I would be interested to learn of experiences comparing the two to make my decision which to buy.

Thanks,
    Johan

2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Why not a Gillette Tech?

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

PanChango likes this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

A Gillette Flare ... very mild and great razor!

[​IMG]

Gillette fat handle post war Tech

[​IMG]

Terry Williams likes this.
  4. Johan M

Johan M Member

I have a Slim too that I use often.
    I thought about getting a stainless razor like the Feather, Rockwell or Blackbird.

I do not have many vintage Gillette.
    Are you saying these shave better?
    J

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  5. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I own both and I cast my vote for the 6S. That is because it is:
    1. less expensive
    2. more adjustable
    3. shaves very much like the AS-D2
    4. is a little heavier (which I like)

Now that doesn't mean that I don't like the AS-D2. In fact, I covet it. But, it was $200. The Feather is a very, very smooth and comfortable razor. It is superbly engineered and it smooths out rough blades. It looks to be based on the Gillette Tech, but I find it to be much more refined. Better weight than the Tech and a little longer handle. I get awesome shaves with the Feather. Though, it may not be for everyone. Most of my friends think it is too mild.

The 6S is $100 and shaves just as nicely. The Rockwell has 3 base plates that vary the blade gap. You reverse the base to get a different gap. The bases are in pairs (1-3, 2-4, 5-6). So, you get 6 levels of adjustability. According to my face, base #3 is very close to the AS-D2. For me, bases #3 and #4 are my sweet spot. I get a great shave (BBS with the right blades) with no irritation. I use the #4 if I let my beard go a couple of days. The 6S has become my daily driver.

But, the AS-D2 is just splendid. I don't like to use it all of the time because it was expensive and I want to keep it pristine. So, it comes out of its wooden box about once a month and gets completely cleaned before it gets put away. But, that is just me. It will last until the Andromeda Galaxy crashes into ours anyway. Whether is stays in the box or not.

Tdmsu and Flyingbald like this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Buy the Feather.

MacDaDad likes this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I have owned nearly every style and age of Gillette Tech and find my favorites are the Pre and post war fat handle Techs (pre is just a touch more aggressive of the two(and English a touch more than the American)). I'm not denying that the Feather is a nice razor, but I do question if it's better let alone 10 times better, for the price (I've picked up minty Techs for $20 or less).

8. Flyingbald

Flyingbald Member

Go with the 6s. Less money and more options. I’ve owned both. Feather is great but I like having options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enrico likes this.
  9. Johan M

Johan M Member

I use now a Gillette Slim, Merkur Progress(Digress), Gem 1912.

I like to be able to do the fast shave without a mirror under the shower as well as the whole package shave.
    My skin is sensitive/thin and I don't have heavy beard growth.

I love the technical aspects of machined metal and the quality of stainless steel.
    I like the h

I am thinking now to choose between the Rockwell 6S and the 0.68 blade gap Timeless.
    I love the workmanship on the Timeless and also the adjustability on the 6S

I hope this helps.

Enrico likes this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

In that case, I'd lean more towards the Rockwell 6S. To put it quite simply, you get more bang for your buck. That all said, this is merely my opinion and only matters in the six inches between my ears. :cool:

11. Johan M

Johan M Member

BTW I use Feather blades.

12. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

FYI you can get a RazoRock Mamba, an all stainless steel razor, over at Italian Barber for less then $50. A very smooth, mild shaver.

Flyingbald and Enrico like this.
  13. Terry Williams

If you are trying to keep the cost down below $50, then take a look at the Rockwell 6C. It is pretty much the same razor as the 6S, but not in stainless. It is chromed. I use one for traveling.

jimjo1031 and Enrico like this.
  14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

First of all, I don't have a Feather razor because it's a Gillette Tech clone and up there in price. Many good suggestions above, but I do have a Rockwell 6C and it's a great razor. That would be my choice of the two you mentioned.

Enrico likes this.
  15. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

I purchased the Rockwell 6C new for under $50 and with plates #4 - #5 it is in my top 5 rotation right along with my $200+ DE razors .. it is amazing for the price. I actually owned the 6S about a year ago and sold it just because i couldn't justify the price at the time ans sold it. The 6C shaves every bit as good but way less $

Terry Williams, jimjo1031 and Enrico like this.
  16. Johan M

Johan M Member

I have enough of the limited lifespan of zamac razors.
    I am really looking for SS and don't mind spending $180

17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Terry Williams likes this.
  18. Johan M

Johan M Member

Yes the also look nice.
    Do you gave experience with these?

19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

If your mind is set on the Feather, then buy it ... otherwise you will buy twice ;)

Speaking from experience here
    (Not with razors though)

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

PanChango and Olie29 like this.
  20. Terry Williams

People do believe this. I can't say whether it is really an issue or not. I've broken zinc golf club heads, but I have 60-70 year old Gillettes with zinc and they don't show any sign of failure or damage. But, like I said, I don't know. These old razors still work great.