Your all around "does it all" razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Another very good razor is the Gillette G2 (Trac II in the USA), depending on the cartridges you use. The vintage Wilkinson Swords are very good, in my opinion, but getting hard to find.

gorgo2 likes this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

This ^^^^.

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Do tell. Any of them, Slim too?

PickledNorthern and gorgo2 like this.
  4. PickledNorthern

Just not a TTO fan in general.

Most of them are too mild for my preferred shaving style, and when you get into a jacked up Slim etc, I just don't find them as comfortable as various 3 piece or SE razors.

pbrmhl and LOOT like this.
  5. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I see. I've not used any 3 piece razors, maybe that will be my next evolution. Perhaps I put too much value in the adjustability portion of the equation. My brother just bought a 5 piece kit from Above the Tie. I checked the blade gap chart and compared it to a Gillette adjustable. One plate doesn't even reach a 1, the other is a 2, and the most aggressive is a 6. I know blade gap is only 33% of the formula but I don't understand why I would want a razor that seemingly would not perform. I use a 2 on my Gillette to clean up, not to mow down hair. What am I missing?

My apologies for hijacking the thread OP.

RyX, Screwtape and PickledNorthern like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

No apology necessary. No one is trolling or being jerkish, so the organic meanderings of threads, as streams to the sea, are of the necessity of the members and a pleasure to read. Gandhi said that. Or Moe Howard. One of 'em did.

7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

There are many variations to appeal to the comfort or preference of many.
    The truth is, i feel, that even mild razors(held right) have a spot where blade meets face. The ability to recognize the sweet spot and maintain the (angle,preasure,attitude) over the contours of your face will result in great shaves.
    I think sometimes, we like what we like. One guys (or girls) butt may feel at home in a F150, while anothers may like a mercedes benz, while still others may feel right at home sitting on a motorcycle. All can get there, if you find your comfort mode, all can get there comfy.
    The thirty-day focus' will/have taught so many so much.
    But I tend to believe, if you can master a mild tech, learn to get a common bbs/comfy shave here. The rest will fall into place, a little more concentration for more openly aggressively razors may help get there with fewer passes or less bloodshed.
    Then we can throw the affects of blade sharpness,comfort coatings, soap slickness's, lanolin or no.........
    The options seem infinite, but all start from where we are.
    Thats why I picked the tech, it fullfills
    Expence
    Quality of manufacture
    Safety of use, newby or old salts
    Performance
    Longevity

RyX, Screwtape and gorgo2 like this.
  8. PickledNorthern

Don't fool yourself, the ATT plates will perform. Even the "Mild" plate is more of a medium.

Having owned all of the ATT plates, I would put the M (mild) at an adjustable around 3, the R/S (med) around 6, and the heavy plate around twelve It's been a while, but these numbers are in my ballpark frame of reference.

Gap, angle, exposure, weight, head geometry, etc all add up differently in every razor. I also don't think blade gap plays nearly as much of a part as the other factors. Look at a Gillette Old Type once, and then ask how many people think they are a mild shaver. Maybe because It is an easier statistic to measure accurately, so everyone and their brother with a set of feeler gauges has posted measurements??b

I think the Gillette adjustables are awesome razors, in nearly every aspect (including cool factor), they just aren't my favorite shavers.

Keithmax, RyX, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Well said.

10. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I would recommend a Gem Micromatic Bullet Tip with a Personna SS Single Edge blade. The blade angle is easy to learn, and the blades give smooth comfortable shaves and can last up to a month before they go dull.

CLAYTON

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

gorgo2 likes this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just as an aside - more accurate to give number of shaves instead of length of days. Does the person shave every day, or once a week? Big difference when one says a blade will last a month - 30 shaves or just 4?

gorgo2 and RyX like this.
  12. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

HD500 or a NEW SC.

PickledNorthern and gorgo2 like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Not in this Forum, Sir! While others may specialize in particular types of razors, or discriminate to the point of bannination for having an opinion other that The Party Line - this gathering of Gentlemen & Ladies accepts all types.

Well said OP. The flavor of opinion is a wide spectrum. If razors were cheese I'd defend your right to use that stinky thing you prefer.
    Not Moe, the other guy? Mahatma Ghandi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and, with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath.
    This made him.. A super calloused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

(Edit; Opps, I forgot the LINK)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  14. Marc Bagwell

Marc Bagwell Well-Known Member

Don't know, still searching for it

gorgo2 likes this.
  15. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

1940's Gillette Tech.

1. Efficient shave? Absolutely. As efficient as the blade you equip it with.

2. Ease of use? Pretty much idiot-proof because it's so mild.

3. Reliability? They almost never fail because there's no moving parts.

4. Versatility? Small & maneuverable. Breaks down for easy packing when traveling

5. Blade availability? Takes any DE blade currently in production.

gorgo2 likes this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Good call!

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You'll find it someday. Several of them, more than likely. ;)

18. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Agree! The Merkur 34c seems to sit there saying "give me another blade - any one you want to pick". Always a great shave. My Muhle R89 - is rather picky and only a few blades work in it to my satisfaction. I have not tried any other razor yet other than the Chatsworth which has the same head as the Muhle R89.

19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

DE - Weishi 9306
    Injector - Schick E, G, or J

20. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

My Merkur 39C Slant does everything I tell it to. It is everything I dreamed of paired with a Polsilver SI.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk