Your all around "does it all" razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Jan 19, 2017.

1. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

My 1955 (A-4) Gillette .Red Tip loaded with a Gillette Spoiler

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Modern- EJ DE89BL
    Vintage-
    IMG_0536.JPG
    Schick Krona. This particular one is my 2017 Shavey Award. It was generously provided by @Linuxguile
    Shaves like a dream and tames even the most aggressive blade.

entropy1049, AGHisBBS and BigMark83 like this.
  3. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

So maybe a Krona should be the number one vintage de recommended to nubes. I've never used an injector, but I've read the angle of attack is similar to an injector. But I might give that new one a try. How long do the personna blades typically last ? They should last longer since I'd use them on my head anyway.

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It's clear what Schick was going for with the flat face on the Krona but (to me) it's not wide enough to make for a DE version of an injector, as far as control of angle goes. Meaning I can't even tell that flat area is there. Great razor, though...good for a newb if only because it's gentle.

RyX and BigMark83 like this.
  5. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

It is indeed gentle. You either shave the hair off or you don't. You never get a crappy shave, unless you have a crappy lather. :o.

RetLEO-07 and gorgo2 like this.
  6. sebargan2313

sebargan2313 New Member

For a CC razor I find nothing more pleasant and efficient than a schick krona. For a mild oc. A Parker 26c is efficient and not to daunting of a shave implement.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

BigMark83 likes this.
  7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Feeling I'm in the minority, I think my Ikon 102 is that razor.

Herm

BigMark83 likes this.
  8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Not my favourite razor but the Schick Krona truly is a "do it all" razor.

I like razors with a bit more "character".

sebargan2313 likes this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

A 1912 Gem Jr. There are other answers in the SE world including lather catchers. The 1912 is my answer because of the many different styles that were made over a long period of time. There is one for every shaver and every situation.

10. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

My Gillette Blue Tip Superspeed. Aces!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AGHisBBS likes this.
  11. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Previously I stated my Merkur 34c was my go to razor - I still standby that statement. However the other razor of equal reliability is my vintage Gillette Fatboy. When I posted my comment before - I had not yet purchased this vintage razor. I would estimate that 90 % of my shaves now are equally split between these two razors. They both take any of the different blades in my inventory and provide excellent results.

RyX and RetLEO-07 like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

We make them every 5 July.

@gorgo2

I like the Schick E recommendation. G's are very similar.

For DE, I recommend Fatip. Learn the real techniques right off the bat as a newbie!

RyX, jtspartan and swarden43 like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

based on what i have and use; gillette rockets/aristocrat,arist jr,various techs etc. ,my favorite go to is fast becoming my m-1 slim adjustable.like the #20 flare tip rocket, it has the smaller head (prefer it over my fatboy which i sold) and a great weight.seems to be a very crisp razor,well built.started on setting 4 first pass and dialed down to 2 for the pickups.very versatile for many beard lengths.fairly priced for good examples and all brass/nickel.always resellable if not enjoyed. now i didn t choose the slim as first pick,i went down the rabbit hole looking for british rockets etc..i love and use all my vintage gillettes regularly ,they are all mild shavers in their own way; the slim can be all of them in one.

14. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Oh it's not you're imagination..if it's Moose made it's gonna be good eh..
    Moose made in Canada.png

gorgo2 and brit like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  16. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

As an amateur he's okay, but no way he should have gotten in the ring with a guy 25 years older, shorter and with less reach unless he was positive he could come out looking better, not even for a charity match. Remember what happened to Apollo Creed! :)

18. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Col C, jtspartan, BigMark83 and 3 others like this.
  19. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

I have 2. My daily driver is Rockwell 6S, MIM replacement version 2.0 as it's referred to, depending on stubble determines the base number. Second is my '66 slim adjustable. Then again they have to be, I sold or PIF'd all my other razors, so these are all I own now.

20. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

The best way to answer this for me is probably by responding with what I've selected as my travel razor. When traveling, I may shave twice a day, or I may skip two days. I want the most versatile razor I have in my arsenal. So, as far as a "does it all" razor, I pick my travel razor, a Slim. In the interest of full disclosure, I also haul along a Feather DX back up.

[​IMG]

dbersh and brit like this.