Your Ancestors

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Uncle Trojan, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Uncle Trojan

Uncle Trojan Well-Known Member

I know this may be a strange thread, but how many of you know your ancestry? I found out my 6th great grandfather was the sheriff of Boone County, West Virginia. [​IMG] Adam Ash Coon (my profile pic). Show me your ancestors, and we shall all enjoy history together!!! :)

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I know a bit about my ancestors, though I would like to know more. They settled in Virginia, the part that became West Virginia later in history. Two brothers were traveling preachers. Two fought for freedom. I would love to sit down with each of them and hear their stories.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. Uncle Trojan

Uncle Trojan Well-Known Member

That's awesome, are you German farther down your line?

brit, jimjo1031 and lightcs1776 like this.
  4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I have some German in my line, as well as a couple other countries. I love history, so knowing more about my past is important to me. I particularly love American history, the 16th and 17th centuries.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

We're a mix of several Euro blends, as many are. My dad or my uncle discovered that we had an ancestor out west in the late 1800s who was hanged for stomping a woman to death. We're also descended from some notable Irish multi-clan king whose name I forget. Other than that, I got nothing.

6. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

My great grandfather Artie Harrison was a tobacco farmer in Kentucky. On the other side, my great great grandfather was an Irish immigrant who landed in Galveston, TX and ended up as a race horse jockey in Texas. Oh and Grandpap (my great great on dad's side) was a Chickashaw doctor in Kentucky as well. I have many more names and many more stories, but the DNA deal I spit in and sent off showed English, Irish, Black and Native American from both sides. I'm pretty much a mutt.

gorgo2, PLANofMAN, Ursa and 6 others like this.
  7. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I got into the genealogy thing, several years back, and was able to successfully trace my paternal side back to around 1130 AD. But, without paperwork, it went back to approx mid 800 AD. But I don't count that, since there wasn't documentation. It was done through census and titles. Basically a real paper trail, that was only rumors, for many years prior. Kind of interesting.

gorgo2, PLANofMAN, brit and 4 others like this.
  9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I can trace it back maybe 4 generations. Being of European Jewish ancestry, this is typical. Over the centuries, my ancestors moved from country to country (often not by choice) with the result being loss of records & changes of names.

gorgo2, PLANofMAN, brit and 3 others like this.
  10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

My most famous (or possibly infamous) ancestor, if family oral tradition is trustworthy, would be my grandfather's grandfather who was a Polish diplomat to Russia. He somehow fell out of favor with Nicholas II and got tipped off that his life was in danger. His son was able to escape Poland to Germany and then to the US. But, the man himself either died in prison or was just plain killed. No clue what happened to his wife except that, as far as we know, she never left Poland.

11. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

My great grandfather on my dad’s side was both a barber and a tailor; at the same time if I’m not mistaken. My great bubbie on my mom’s side was a seamstress. On my mother’s side of ancestry we came from Austria-Hungary when the 2 were one country.

12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Terry, you couldn't have chosen a better photo myself for this thread :) (nyuk nyuk)

brit, jimjo1031 and Terry like this.
  13. Paul Turner

Somehow I am a relative of Abe Lincoln. I don't recall the connection but it was discovered when my Mom and I were researching her mother's ancestory for a book she(my mom) never got to write. Makes a little sense though, as her father was tall and clever with his words. My dad's side of the family were of the Scotch-Irish persuasion(I say WERE, but some still ARE).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  14. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

OMG Paul!
    We have the same ancestors.
    That explains a lot.
    ;)

tp

brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  15. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

You say that like it's a good thing.:happy068::lyrtuy5:

16. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

hqdefault.jpg
    tp

brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  17. Paul Turner

You're a Lincoln cousin,too? Or is it the Scotch-Irish(my dad's side).?

18. Paul Turner

And that is exactly what it IS, of course.:cool:

19. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Well I always tell people tat my ancestors came over on the boat.
    Before they built the bridge over the ohio River from Kentucky to Ohio.
    Well.....

PLANofMAN, wristwatchb, brit and 2 others like this.
  20. Paul Turner

In this picture, Larry and Curly look like brothers, which they weren't.