Your dream retro job?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by richgem, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Entering the Priesthood before WWI and serving as Chaplin for 30 plus years.

2. PadreTex

PadreTex Well-Known Member

It's interesting how many of us would actually like to do exactly what we're doing right now. That's pretty mature I think.

Switchermike and NoobShaver like this.
  3. Azarius

My current job didn't exist, as the Internet is still in it's infancy...but once a Marine, always a Marine, although technically Chalpins are Squids, but well loved Squids :D

Switchermike likes this.
  4. PadreTex

PadreTex Well-Known Member

How did you guess that when I was in High School I fully intended to join the Corps? I got my acceptance letters from college and took them to Gunny Davis, who told me go to college and we'll get you squared away in OCS. Then I began to get a sense of vocation. My blood still bleeds scarlet and gold. Ooh rah! Semper Fi!

gregindallas likes this.
  5. Azarius

That was wise advice from the Gunny. My recruiter, SSGT Tobias just wanted numbers. He lied so much to me that it was pathetic. I showed up to boot camp with 4 cartons of smokes and a blow dryer. I know laugh about it, as I feel like I was a male version of "Private Benjamin". I still recall standing in that room being yelled at, looking at my brother across the table unloading our personal gear and thinking "man, what did we just get ourselves into". The odd thing was as much as I hated boot camp, I recall looking at MCRD San Diego from the Airport Terminal thinking how much I was going to miss it.

Switchermike likes this.
  6. wlmcad

wlmcad cleaning TSD Route 5

I currently work as an engineer for a company that makes implants and instruments used to correct spinal deformities. The type of job I do now did not exist at the turn of the century. But I love old houses and I started out as a draftsmen for an architect many years ago. I think my dream retro job would be as an architect drawing houses and office buildings or a carpenter bringing those plans to life.

Switchermike likes this.
  7. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I've never met an honest recruiter. They're all cut from the same mold. I almost joined the Marine Corps, but figured the National Guard would be better since I wanted to go to college.

8. Switchermike

Switchermike Active Member

True! My butcher tells me how to cook different cuts of meat (cuts I normally wouldn't buy). Saves me money and gives great, quick and easy recipes, and is always quick with a good joke! Make friends with your local butcher!

9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

"... or a light o' your smoke. But, there's someplace that he'd rather be...."

Switchermike likes this.
  10. Switchermike

True also.....His names not Elton but it would fit him! He could come over to my place have a beer and a nice salad!

11. Ryan B

I've been meaning to make a trip to the butcher's store. I'm tired of the Wal-Mart meat.

Switchermike likes this.
  12. Switchermike

Wal-Mart meat? I buy a lot of things from there but no meat. If your gonna spend money on meat find a good butcher! Well worth the few extra dough! And if there's something your intested in but don't know how to prepare he/she can give you great advice.

13. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

I was well on my way to Concordia (I'm LCMS) when I heard a clear voice sayith unto me, (UT Dean - engineering school) our engineering degree plan doesn’t require a foreign language. And we don’t make fun of slide rules and we’re getting an IBM 360! All things considered, probably a good thing. :D

14. pitrow

pitrow New Member

Well, since my current job wasn't even a thought in anybody's head "back then", I'd probably have to say Blacksmith, or maybe whitesmith. Just something about causing metal to bend to my will appeals to me.

Switchermike likes this.
  15. Ryan B

I don't buy it there, my parents do... I just eat it.

Switchermike likes this.
  16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Then, as now, I would be a teacher. Or (for those who have read "Harpo Speaks") King Alfonso's Anthem Man

Switchermike likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    a Butler. That would be my dream job.

Switchermike likes this.
  18. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I think I would have to go with a butcher as well; just like my Grandfather.

Switchermike likes this.
  19. Falcon43

Falcon43 Active Member

Back in my Great-Grandfathers time the family owned a general store and movie theater. I think I could really get into that!

lradke and Switchermike like this.
  20. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Same as now...Retired!(;-)