Your dream retro job?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by richgem, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Nice work if you can get it!

2. gollum83

gollum83 Well-Known Member

Definitely. My parents were so sad to see their butcher Del retire a few years ago. They were happy to see him retire in good health obviously, but losing that type of interaction going to the butcher shop was disappointing. Not to mention the guy made fantastic sausages (No one in our family has been able found anything that compares since :().

3. Switchermike

Switchermike Active Member

It's possible, if they could get in touch with thier old butcher that he would know where they can find another good butcher:).

4. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

I would have probably made a good Vaudeville act.

Zereoue20 likes this.
  5. Zereoue20

Zereoue20 Active Member

Goodfella? lol. Not me, but at least in the movies they're all so smooth and cool. At least until they get busted or blown up in their car.

skyfox12 likes this.
  6. Indiexsunrise

Indiexsunrise Well-Known Member

This all day long

pitrow likes this.
  7. gollum83

gollum83 Well-Known Member

Well they did, but he just referred them to the guy he sold his shop to. And the new guy was alright, and I'm sure knowing Del that he had all the confidence in the world that the new owner would do him proud and carry things on, but the new owner had a tendency to cut corners and customers started to leave, including my folks, and the shop closed. :(

Switchermike likes this.
  8. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

I think I would quite like to run either a hardware store or a general store with a nice hardware section as well produce from the local farmers.

lradke and PadreTex like this.
  9. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Well I would have stayed with Army but that would have been a given - heck I just reupped my contract for the Army to Indefinite Engagement which means I'll be in until they throw me out for old age, or...well the other way out.

10. PadreTex

PadreTex Well-Known Member

Hope it's the former rather than the latter.

11. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Thanks Padre :) I've left my infantry days behind for the younger guys. I'm in the technical areas now where there's usually a company of people within a stones throw and at least a squadron of tanks ;)

12. PadreTex

PadreTex Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're in the area my uncle said the called "too" in Korea. Too close to the front to be safe and too close to read to get out wearing a tie.

Neolithium likes this.
  13. Switchermike

Switchermike Active Member

That is sad. It seems to be all too common these days. Hopefully someone will come along and surprise you. Good luck! HEY GUYS, IT SEEMS WE ARE IN NEED OF A FEW GOOD BUTCHERS! ANY TAKERS?

gollum83 likes this.
  14. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

Ima reboot this thread as I thought it was super interesting! My dream retro job would probably consist of me running under the title of Soda Jerk! Id love to have an old timey malt shop/ice cream parlor.

Switchermike and Ryan Bales like this.
  15. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

"Die gas pumper!" Oh wait a second, wrong profession. :happy097:

16. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

My great grandfather was a cart wagon maker. I'd love to step in his shoes. He was a purist. When a wheel needed a new iron rim, he carried it some five miles to the next town, because the blacksmith over there was better than the one in his own town. He quit his job at 47 because the doctor said he wouldn't live much longer. Years later he shed some tears at the doctor's grave and lived on to 97!

Wait a minute, I'm 46 right now. That woud be just another year of work!

Ryan Bales likes this.
  17. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

That's a nice story. My great grandpa was a coal miner before and during the Depression. He caught pneumonia and died in 1934 when my grandpa was 6. That's when my grandpa went to work at the mines hauling coal, learning how to hunt, trap, fish, and he had to fight a lot of older and bigger kids who tried to take his money or his fish he would catch to survive.

macaronus likes this.