Your dream straight razor?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by raag, Jul 26, 2012.

1. raag

raag Member

Although I primarily shave with a DE, I often dream of making a straight razor shave a daily ritual. I think if I got my hands on the right gear, it would definitely become a reality...

For a while I've had a crush on the Iwasaki Kamisori straights:
    [​IMG]

I adore Japanese design and the Kamisori for me epitomizes that. So simple, so precise, but utterly beautiful. A real master's tool and one that looks just absolutely incredible. I think if I could pair that with a Cordovan Shell strop, I'd be willing to shave with a straight every day. It would just be too beautiful a ritual to pass up.

Anyone have experiences to share with using Kamisori razors? What is your dream straight razor?

Slipperyjoe, Hanzo and Smott like this.
  2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I haven't used a Kamisori, just have been too cheap to buy a quality one for the most part. But my ideal straight razor would be a square point with original ivory scales. Have only seen one of them, but I was not remotely considering paying the $800 it was for NOS lol.

3. Indiexsunrise

Indiexsunrise Well-Known Member

I love the look of Damascus steel, I would love a quality Damascus straight with cherry colored scales.

4. Neolithium

OH SHOOT. You are right there, I just saw a few of the Damascus Boker razors, OH MYGOD. If I had an extra $900 to spend I would jump on one instantly.

5. Indiexsunrise

Indiexsunrise Well-Known Member

Me too. I was at an art fair a while back with my wife and there was a knife maker there selling his Damascus blade and he had a straight he made with black walnut scales that was absolutely gorgeous... Wanted a small fortune for it though I could have bought a child on the black market for what he wanted for it and a cheap strop.

6. Neolithium

That's the problem with genuine Damascus, actually, even most of the high end Japanese kamisori's - the steel is made pretty much by hand for each single piece, so those artisans need to earn their money. I'm more inclined to Japanese steel though since TRUE Damascus steel is a long lost recipe that is only currently made by guesswork or pattern welding regular steel.

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you are referring to Wootz steel. www.angelsword.com is one of the only manufacturers of Wootz steel in the world. I asked them about making straight razors a few years back. At the time they were not interested. They might be more interested in it now though.

Here is an in depth scientific analysis of ancient Damascus steel blades.
    http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/9809/Verhoeven-9809.html

I already own my dream razor. Man 'O War.
    [​IMG]

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  8. Neolithium

Well as the lost art, in the article, I meant true Damascus steel which no one left alive knows how to make, and hasn't for centuries. The Boker Damascus though is quite close from what I've read, though it is still, IMO overpriced considering how reliable their carbon steel is.

9. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Yes I have that razor and a few others..

The Kamisori is simplicity, they also are so wicked sharp that whiskers just fall over dead at their passing :D..
    If I have the time and patience, I can't beat the shave -HOWEVER- it is a very stressful event, you have to have perfect concentration or the razor will get you.. Also the edge is so sharp that the pressure while shaving has to be perfect, you want to basically glide the edge over the skin, I imagine the thin layer of water that is under the lather and on the skin and try to ride that... If everything goes right I get a perfect shave...
    Honing them is quite different, IMHO much easier once the bevel is set, if the razor isn't shave ready when recieved, I would very Highly recommend you send it out, it is much easier to wreck the angle on these...

Now all these impressions are from somebody that learned for 30 years on a Western razor first, if I had started with a Kamisori my impressions could be slightly different...

I will tell you that if I ever give up collecting and became simply a shaver my Japanese razors would be in the few I would keep.

10. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I've really just started on the straight and narrow razor path so I don't yet have much experience to know one dream SR from the next. That being said, I can still appreciate them and those great big Philarmonicas seem quite the drool worthy razor...

11. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Nothing special about my dream razor, it's just that I can't afford it. A Hart 6/8 round point.

12. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

My barber's got an old Puma 6/8ths full hollow round point with the original coffin. I'd buy it in a heartbeat but I've never had the nerve to ask.

Best Regards

Graham

13. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty content with what I have. Of course I'm sure I could find something mint, vintage and German that would turn my head. There are a couple of custom makers whose work I admire but I'd probably want to hoard them rather than use them. Nice fantasy, though.

14. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Graham, if he doesn't use it, ask. That's how I got my Double Duck. My barber was delighted somebody still wants to use a straight.

goshawk likes this.
  15. uk_HBer

uk_HBer Well-Known Member

Robert Williams 'The Purist'.... :drool:

[​IMG]

In fact, I've just gone ahead and ordered it... :happy036:

16. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of custom razors, but my dream razor would be a 7/8 square point Butch Harner, with nice crisp jimmping on the tang everything else clean simple lines with stabilized Buckeyed burl scales, only thing now is can someone tell Butch to make it. PS forgot to add my choice of steel and grind, a full hollow grind and Japanese VG10 or ZDP189 steel.

Jamie.

oscar11 likes this.
  17. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

oscar

You might be right, and I'll surely give it some thought, but when he showed me that razor and it's mate ( he's got a 5/8ths too!) he handled them like his heart was wrapped around them. He's a fine man and I owe him alot - he honed my first two razors ,gratis, and taught me a good deal about handling and caring for them. I'd just hate to offend him.

Best Regards

Graham

18. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Something that looks similar to this!

I love the look of damascus. I have no idea how damascus shaves even. If I had more money than brains, I have a fleet of these.

19. uk_HBer

uk_HBer Well-Known Member

ooer, nice that....

20. Epd

Epd New Member

Im going with a Boxer custom one piece razor. Only problem is Im married with kids and it would never fly :)

Eric'

Jamie Mahoney likes this.