Your favorite/best adjustable DE....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Mar 3, 2017.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I don't blame you for not liking to take a razor apart mid shave, and to be honest, I am not sure why anyone would. I also don't ever adjust my razors mid shave either. They are usually just set to jacked up and they stay there.

It seems like a 50/50 split of people who adjust their razor mid shave, and people who dial it in and leave it forever. If you end up being a set it and forget it shaver, the 6S may be more appealing to you down the road.

2. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I used a Progress for many years and thought it was just OK. Switched to a Futur about a year an a half ago and think it's fantastic. One day I'll have to get a Fatboy just to be able to say I've compared and like the Futur better. Not that I'm prejudiced. ;)

PLANofMAN, LOOT, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:eek: :happy102:

Douglas Carey and BigMike like this.
  4. PickledNorthern

It is sort of arguing semantics, so I mean it in a good natured way. I think it is a fantastic razor, and as I moved away from DE's, it ended up being pretty much the only nice one that I kept. I could totally understand using a different plate for 6 day's growth and then switching out to finish up. It is just that my philosophy is more like:

[​IMG]

5. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Understandable and agree, fortunately many razors out there for folks to choose from. As much as I love my 6S, I still consider a Slim an engineering masterpiece.

LOOT, Terry Williams, RyX and 3 others like this.
  6. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Good point!

7. RetLEO-07

:happy097:

8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

@ Op-Merkur Progress Long Handle

Str8on2 and PickledNorthern like this.
  9. PickledNorthern

I love shaving with the Futur. It has the best blade feel, and shaves as close as any DE I have ever used.

BigMike and DesertTime like this.
  10. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Gillette Slim followed VERY closely by my Gillette Fat Boy.

LOOT, Taipan, SpeedyPC and 3 others like this.
  11. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

- The Black Beauty
    - Fat Boy

These are simply my favorite adjustables. I no longer dial it beyond five, I stay at 3. Now I enjoy the weight of these beasts more than the adjustable feature. Aces!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOOT, Taipan, Demidog and 1 other person like this.
  12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Fat Boy!

'nuff said!

Demidog, Terry Williams and RyX like this.
  13. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I have a Fatboy, and it's the least favorite of my adjustables (Futur, Progress, Parker Variant, Fatboy). It's a beautiful razor in terms of design, engineering and quality, but I prefer something bigger with more heft. The Parker is my go to after six years of using a Futur exclusively. They're all terrific razors though.

14. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I think you've hit the nail on the head. What I notice most about the Futur is how it seems to stand back and just let the blade do its thing.

15. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Great posts and conversations gents. This is what it's all about. Love it. Too bad not all forums are like this. Anyway quick curve toss to you Gents. I like and prefer more blade feel/exposure in my shaves. I list my Adjustables according to their aggressiveness but yet can maintain smoothness throughout the shave. My list in order of most aggressive/blade exposure yet still being smooth:

1. Merkur Vision set at second I
    2. Merkur Futur set at # 4
    3. Parker Variant set # 5
    4. Merkur Progress set at # 4.5
    5. Gillette Slim '63 set at # 9
    6. Rockwell 6s with R6 plate
    #2 & #3 is so close, I can flop positions with them, they're neck and neck. Futur a tad more aggressive and the Variant smoother. All great razors. None are leaving, hopefully.

P.S. One other note. The Barbaros & Rocnel S/S Adjustable is on my list, but the lady of the house has a very keen eye on me as of late, might take some time...:angry017:

BigMike and Demidog like this.
  16. PickledNorthern

For the last few months, with a few exceptions I have been shaving with Feather AC style shavettes, and love it. The Futur is the closest thing to that I have ever used. It is just pure blade to face.

BigMike and Demidog like this.
  17. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Alright, I'll bite. I pretty much use the same base plate on my 6S (for days) and I don't try to change any thing during my shave. While this is an interesting idea, I don't have the time unless it's the weekend. I also find that some 6S bases and some blades don't pair well (i.e. #5/6 with Shark Platinum, #1/3 with Bolzano; probably just me). But, I like the idea that if I need a great one-pass shave, then Feather with #5/6 is all that I need. So, maybe reconfigurable is a better description.

But, I don't own any other dial-adjustable than Gillettes and the only other one that I've used is the Merkur Progress (nice razor). I've gotten more use from my '76 Gillette Super 109 (I seem to like the handle length and the look). But, my Slims all work pretty much the same. I just had a Slim redone in ceramic with Blue Angels colors. I think that will supplant my Super. It's just too cool.

Edit: couldn't upload photo from my phone (too big).

18. RetLEO-07

+1 on the 109. :love055:

19. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Gillette adjustables, Slim or Fatty

LOOT, Taipan, Terry Williams and 3 others like this.
  20. RetLEO-07

With all this Adjustable talk, I just decided what my razor will be for the upcoming week! Thanks guys! :happy088: