Your favorite/best adjustable DE....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Mar 3, 2017.

1. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Well, I only have Gillette adjustables (although the Chinese clone of the Futur has caught my attention). As for a favorite... I'm actually torn between my birth-quarter Aristocrat Adjustable and my Fatboy. I think I'm starting to prefer the Fatboy shave, though.

I'm curious to try a short-handle Super Adjustable someday. I have two of the long-handled ones and like them but find I have to consciously "choke up" on the handle.

2. brit

brit in a box

my only adjustable ;g-1 fatboy.good old fashioned solid technology and looks cool to boot.its hard to reinvent the wheel.

LOOT and Demidog like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

(watching thread for great information content :))

I tried a Gillette Slim for the longer handle. Much prefer a Fat Boy. I don't own many non-vintage DEs but this thread is helping me towards a choice!

brit, Demidog, DesertTime and 2 others like this.
  4. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Good luck in your search amigo....

RyX likes this.
  5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

SA-109! And choke up.

Terry Williams, Str8on2 and RyX like this.
  6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

What are you leaning towards?

DesertTime likes this.
  7. mvillezcas

mvillezcas Member

Merkur Progress. I own 4 adjustables. Parker Variant on the way and I think that one will top all mine.
    1. Progress
    2. Futur
    3. Fatboy
    4. Black Beauty

8. Str8on2

Variant on the way? Great razor! I think you will like it....:signs021:

9. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I love the Fatboy. The thicker handle is much easier to hold for me compared to the Slim. I'm also more mindful of pressure when using the Fatboy. Whenever I use the Slim, I have a tendency to subconsciously press down.

After Fatboy February, I used my Slim once and then went back to the Fatboy. The Slim might just become a backup at this point and stay on standby indefinitely. Also call me crazy but I've grown to like the bigger head geometry of the Fatboy. It makes it much easier to ride the cap, which means a much smaller chance of irritation.

[​IMG]

brit, LOOT, Terry Williams and 2 others like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

The Merkur Vision & Futur both look interesting. I like aggressive DEs and I think they qualify.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

Str8on2 and Terry Williams like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I just finished Fatboy February with my favorite adjustable: the Fatboy.
    fat_boy_e2_07.JPG

brit, LOOT, EnglishChannel and 2 others like this.
  12. Str8on2

Both excellent razors. Futur can be found easily for $60-$70, but the Vision is another story. Big $$$ nowadays if it's in pristine condition. Even those that are well used and might need some maintenance because they weren't properly cared for can go upwards of $200. But if you can find one in good shape, and that the tto mechanism opens and closes smoothly, consider it. It's big, definitely high maintenance, but a great, great razor. Good luck. :)

Terry Williams and RyX like this.
  13. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

My "best"? F4 toggle
    My "favorite"? Hm...toss--up...Slim on "3", followed by my Schick adjustable injector with a twin (so, that makes it a double-edge, right?)

Terry Williams and Demidog like this.
  14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I have owned, used and enjoyed all of the Gillette adjustable razors except the Toggle. I really can't pic a favorite. :confused: Luckily I don't have to as I use and enjoy 3 piece DE's the best. :)

Str8on2 and Demidog like this.
  15. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

I've only got two adjustable razors at the moment which are:-

1. Gillette Fatboy Adjustable G2 1961
    2. Parker Variant Adjustable in Satin Chrome

Maybe next year I might get the Mergress Adjustable Safety Razor? who knows and I'm looking forward to see my Rockwell Model T very soon.

Str8on2 likes this.
  16. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

I've never experienced an adjustable razor that I didn't LOVE without reservation!

I have the Apollo Mikron, Gillette Fat Boy, Gillette Slim, Gillette Black Beauty Long Handle, Gillette Beauty Short Handle, Schick Injector Adjustable, Pal Injector Adjustable, Merkur Futur, and the Merkur Vision 2000.

Str8on2 and RyX like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

At this point I'm not looking, but I'll keep my eyes open for the deal. Been very happy and had more than my share of gathering Gillette adjustable from the wild. Picked up 6 or 8 of them, only one had a stuck adjuster, and never paid more than $14 each.
    They are out there, cruddy and scummed up, but they clean up well and don't need the maintenance of modern adjustables in my experience.

To answer the next question; Yes, I have a waiting list for the next two. I don't sell them, but I am inclined to trading.

178-bplatoon, RetLEO-07 and Str8on2 like this.
  18. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

RyX likes this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I don't like buffets, they're almost always mediocre food in large portions. I kept my Single Ring and sold off my Fatboy and Slims.

I have the Supply SE with its three plates but only use the more aggressive, I don't really think of it as an adjustable..

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  20. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

for me its the parker adjustable hands down....LOVE that thing.

DesertTime likes this.