Your Favorite Cartridge Razor?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by PottyDoctor, Feb 5, 2007.

1. I've officially converted to the Mach 3. I dropped the DE after about a month - just couldn't get any enjoyment or comfort out of it, whatsoever. Initially, I went back to my Sensor 3 but I'm finding that the Sensor 3 blades are kinda tough to find compared to the other cartridge razors. Mach 3 blades can be found everywhere. The Mach 3 has been out now for quite a few years but I've stayed away from it because I thought the overall design of it was strange (the cartridge sitting flat - unlike the Sensor design). I had my first shave today with the Mach 3 and low and behold I found the performance to be even better than the Sensor! I'm pleasantly surprised. Yes, the blades are ridiculously expensive but I can't deny the quality of shaves I continue to get with the cartridge razor system. It just simply works for me. The $$ savings that I get from using a DE just isn't worth the displeasure that comes with using it. Again, this is just me. For you guys that enjoy the DE, GREAT! I just can't get into it.

2. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I'm sorry to hear that! Glad you found something that works for you though, that is the important thing after all!

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Big ol' +1!

4. PottyDoctor

PottyDoctor Jeff Foxworthy of Shaving

I personally never was able to adjust to the Mach 3, but I've heard lots of folks who have. As you know, I like to use my Sensor on occasion. I'm glad you found what works for you! That's the important thing IMHO.

5. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I haven't read all 63 posts (or any really) but I like the Gillette Trac II razor. I still use it regularly.

6. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Gillette Sensor Excel. Hands down, the best twin blade EVER!!

7. PottyDoctor

Long live the King Sensor!!!

8. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

The Mach III and before that the Atra II

9. Masonjarjar

Masonjarjar Active Member

+1

I use a lot of the "DE" techniques with my Atra, and always use good prep and decent soap/cream, 3 passes, etc.. I get great shaves with it when I really focus and take my time.

Plus my Atra has a heavy metal handle, heavier than any other cartridge razor I've seen...

-Mason

10. PottyDoctor

I'm planning on adding one of those nice heavy Atra handles to my collection. It looks like it would make a great shaver, and there seem to be many more handles available for the Atra than the Sensor.

11. MaxP

MaxP Member

I still use a Sensor for triming the upper edge of my 'stache. Works fine for me.

12. PottyDoctor

Upper lip smoothing is my primary use for my Sensor. I only occasionally do a complete shave with it...that's reserved for my Merkur's. ;)

13. 0mblig0

0mblig0 New Member

Trac II for that @#!% hair in my ears. I use it weekly, mostly on Saturdays.
    I use Sensor Excel as part of my shaving gear when I travel. They are both good cartridges. One cartridge of Sensor Excel is usually enough for my trips overseas and it does not raise the eyebrows of paranoid inspectors at the airports.

14. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I've lately been addicted to my headblade. That's technically a cartridge razor. :ashamed001

15. Glenn

Glenn New Member

I've been reading these posts on cartridge razors in hope of finding reference to inexpensive replacement cartridges. I use a Merkur HD with Derby blades. My son who is 18 is quite interested in wet shaving, but I shudder at the thought of a DE in his hand. He has a pretty heavy beard for 18. He cuts himself pretty badly now with a cartridge razor, the Fusion. I think part of the problem is that the cost of replacement blades causes him to try to get more mileage out of a cartridge and so he ends up cutting himself and/or getting razor burn and bumps pretty badly. I've been searching the net looking for some inexpensive cartridges to order for him to try. Any suggestions?

16. Will

Will Nevermind

Teach him the DE. He is getting nicks and cuts from the M3, a DE can't be any worse right?

He is 18, its is time.

Make sure he knows that a DE needs T-L-C and R-E-S-P-E-C-T. :cool:

17. PottyDoctor

I agree with Doc in that it's time to move away from the Fusion/Mach3 multi-blade cartridge razors. Besides costing an arm and a leg, they cost you skin off your face too!

I think the DE is a logical move. Just treat it with respect. A lot of us grew up on the DE years ago and didn't have the second thought about it.

Another option is to look around and find some BIC Metals. They're the closest thing you can get to a DE in a disposable. They would be a nice way to learn DE technique but with a cheap disposable razor. I found them at Big Lots in our area. Look at some of the close-out and discount stores and you'll probably run across some. They're like $2 for a package of 10. They also make a great travel razor when you don't wanna' take a DE on the road! In addition, do a search here about the BIC Metals for more info.

18. cutthroat

cutthroat New Member

i spent most of shaving time so far with a mach3. it gives me an ok shave nothin compared to my 38C though. A pack of 5 mach3 cartridges costs 11 bucks where i live and the mach3 itself costs 7 bucks. wet shaving is so much better because your razor will last you a life time so its pretty much an investment when you put your money into it, your brush should be replaced every 5 years or so or atleast thats what mantic told me, a good cream like proraso will last you a very long time and only cost around 10 bucks and will be alot better for your face, and blades are extremely cheap and they get the job done better and dont irritate your skin.

19. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :confused: I don't think I've ever heard this.

With proper care and maintenance a brush should last you a great many years.

20. PottyDoctor

Same here, I never heard this replacement time line spoken or discussed anywhere before. If I had only one brush and used it everyday I think it might need replacement in a few years...but most of us wet shavers have several brushes in our rotation which means most brushes will last a lifetime. Mo' brushes...Mo' betta'! :D