Your Favorite Cartridge Razor?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by PottyDoctor, Feb 5, 2007.

1. cutthroat

cutthroat New Member

well all depends on quality of the brush, a synthetic brush can last a life time and a cheap boar brush wont last very long. When i first got a boar brush almost all the hairs fell out within a few months.

2. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I learned to shave with the cheap plastic disposables, and it wasn't until college that I was introduced to cartridge razors - the Gillette Sensor was new at that time, so it was my first. I advanced to Mach 3 (skipped the Sensor Excel), then to the Fusion. I have to say that, of all of those I tried, including the Schick Quattro, I really liked the Fusion. The cartridges are outrageously expensive - that is how I ended up discovering wetshaving - but I liked it the best. I never tried any of the "power" razors.

3. PolieCat

PolieCat New Member

Between the Trac II, Sensor, Mach 3, and Fusion, I like the Mach 3 the best. Still, I've never been thrilled by the closeness of the shaves from any of them, so I'm going to try the DE route.

4. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

Me too, but they are too expensive for my wallet. I just got my grandfather's Gillette Super Speed and I've been DE since. I will likely uses my Remington electric or try the new Disposable Mach 3 for travel (still don't like the cost, but I don't want to lose my good razor). I might try to look around the local thrift stores and antique shops for another DE for travel.

I will go on the record and state I've been getting the best shaves ever from my DE and I've only been using that for about a week now. :cool:

5. MonocleMan

MonocleMan New Member

I'm actually quite fond of the new Schick Quattro Titanium Trimmer.

6. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

I moved back to DE shavng from a Schick Xtreme 3 but my favorite razor of all time was the Wilkinson Bonded. I found the single blade cartridge to be a near perfect shave. I used mine until I could not find cartridges even at the discount and dollar stores. I found the handle recently, lying next to two abandoned Mach III handles. I searched for some acceptable (single blade) cartridge to use with it but haven't found anything as yet. If I do find one, the Wilkinson becomes my travel razor.

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, Dexterous!

Don't miss the Newbie Give-Away! :happy088

8. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

I use the Personna Tri-Flexxx as my main setup. Cartridges last me about 10 shaves and a pack of 4 runs a mere US$3.26 at Wal*Mart. It's not perfect but does give me excellent shaves with no discomfort. The head pivots a little too loosely for my liking, though.

For travel I use Schick Slim Twin Sensitive disposables. They seem a little pricey at about 60 cents each, but they are the only disposables I've ever had any luck with. They last me about 15 shaves each and never, ever give me any problems.

Years ago, I really liked the Schick Slim Twin cartridge system, and wish they still made 'em. The handle was nice and substantial with no sloppiness in the pivoting head, and the blades were very, very sharp. The nice handle and slim cartridges made for a very maneuverable and pleasant shaver.

9. Misha

Misha New Member

The Mach 3 produced a closer shave for me than the Fusion, but caused much more irritation.
    So it's the Fusion for me (actually the Power version, because it feels all tickely :happy102)

But I'm not using those anymore, it's either DE or Gillette Blue II disposables.
    I prefer the simple disposables above all cartridge razors.

10. Pokerstar

Pokerstar New Member

I liked the FX Diamond, when i used cartridges. If anyone can point me to some of them so I can stock up on a few, i would be appreciative.

11. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
  12. chasro

chasro Member

I'm using the quattro titanium. I had the Mach 3, blamed Gillette for the cost escalation in razor prices and jumped to Schick. Been happy with the quattro, but am looking for alternatives to see if there is a better way to shave.

As far as cost, those 20% coupons at Bed Bath & Beyond can be used on razors - and they never expire, despite what the expiration date says on the coupon.

13. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

My favorite cartridge razors are the ones lining the landfills. May they rest in pieces! :happy102

14. apswartz

apswartz New Member

I've been using the M3 for years now before switching back to the DE. I will still carry the M3 on airline flights, and I use it to trim the back of my neck after I cut my hair. (Yes, I cut my own hair).

15. ajsaxs

ajsaxs Active Member

Cartridge Razor

Trac II

16. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

Sensor Excel, I've tried them all and the electrics. This agreed with my face more than the rest. But even then it wasn't great.

Now, it's slant or progress.

17. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Phewww! I was getting worried I was all alone! My first and last cartridge razor handle purchase was the all metal Atra when they came out. The first pivoting razor made. Works great. I did upgrade to the Atra Plus cartridge with the lube strip though when they came out in the mid 80's. Still use it once in awhile. I tried a 3 blade once and it felt like I was driving a Volvo on my face. Back to the Atra!

Just using it very rarely now though as DE is the way to go.

18. ClubmanRob

ClubmanRob New Member

I've tried them all, and I keep coming back to the Trac II. I stay away from the Gillette blades though. The Twin II blades by Personna (commonly available at Wal-Mart- 3.00 a 10 pack) are much sharper and don't have that stupid lube strip on it, which is what ruined the Atra for me.

19. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

I love the Sensor.

20. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Slightly off the subject, can someone please post a photo of a Trac II, I have been trying to see what one looks like.