Your favorite Open Comb ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by CHSeifert, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Thank you sir for your kindly comment.

:)

2. Sweet!! Did I by chance see this on That Well-Known Auction Site last week? I have been prowling around for an OC; seems that more than a few have damaged handles/threads, pranged teeth, or a beat-up finish--this one looks like a nice specimen. I was away during the bidding on this one or its look-alike on the auction, so I didn't bid on it. These things can command some prices for collector-grade pieces, too--whew! Enjoy--hope it shaves as good as it looks!

3. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

no. actually it was passed to me after a death in someones family. its my duty to keep it alive.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  4. Heloguy

where are you getting it re plated? i want to get this one re plated as well, but the reviews on a certain vendor seem to be less than favorable.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    View attachment 34736
    I got it back yesterday and I am very pleased with the results.
    [​IMG]

Hirsute and Monkeylord like this.
  6. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

I have been working on a Gillette New open comb(gold tone) all week and this thing is a beauty. I finished with it yesterday & I decided to shave with it this morning. Let me tell you, once a month or so I get a new 'best shave ever' and this was the first time this month. This razor is more mild then my Gillette Tech Heavy and I love it. I also like how the combs allow a little SC to stay behind after shaving, this especially helps on my touch up pass. But hey, this thing was so great I had to share.

7. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    PM sent.

8. Heloguy

Thank you

9. Heloguy

I have the same one, in gold. It's the one I want to have replated. I get my best shaves from that razor.

10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I am definitely delighted with the shaves I get from my New. They are definitely at the top of the list for best shaves.

11. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

Gem junior

12. Brunton

Brunton New Member

which is this?

13. GarGuy

GarGuy Well-Known Member

Tradere Open Comb, saweeeet razor!!

14. GarGuy

GarGuy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I love mine!

15. Brunton

Brunton New Member

How does it rank in regard to aggressiveness? I've been using a EJ DE89BL for about 2.5 years and am looking at the Atlas 5-piece from ATT, the Joris, an Mergress, iKon, Tradere, etc.

My wife's thought (amazing) is rather than me buy a Gillette Slim from the 60s, I should buy one that I could then pass on (an heirloom if you will) so now I'm trying to decide which razor to opt for.

I'd prefer something more aggressive than the EJ but nothing as insane as I've heard regarding the R41.

16. GarGuy

GarGuy Well-Known Member

It is definitely aggressive, and from what I hear the 1st generation such as mine is more aggressive than the second, which is what is available now.
    It is nothing to be feared though, I went from an EJ DE89Bl straight to the Tradere and never looked back... it requires more attention to technique but the shave is IMO much closer and smoother.

It is a beautiful razor of superior craftmanship, a piece to pass on for sure!