Your First Cartridge Razor

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Sabre, Oct 18, 2015.

?

What was your first cartridge/system razor?

1. TWIN - Trac II/Super II/WII

15.4%
  2. PIVOTING - Atra/Contour/Ultra/Ultrex/Profile

15.4%
  3. Sensor

23.1%
  4. Tracer/FX

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Mach 3

23.1%
  6. Xtreme3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Quattro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Fusion

3.8%
  9. Hydro 3/5

3.8%
  10. Other - Protector, Slim Twin/Advantage etc.

15.4%
  1. Paul6506

Paul6506 Well-Known Member

That's my 1st and only cartridge razor on the right Gillette Atra....Still use when I have time constraint issues and to do mop up and especially around my go-tee and above my mustache.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  2. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

For the life of me, I cannot understand why people who dislike cartridge razors peruse the cartridge forum, and then feel compelled to pontificate in threads obviously intended for cartridge enthusiasts. It would really help keep this place more enjoyable if you could confine your anti-cartridge comments to the safety razor forum.

3. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

Per the topic, my first cartridge razor was a Sensor. I was 17, and it had just hit the market in 1990. I had actually been shaving for the better part of four years with a cheapie Remington electric, which was dreadful. When I tried the Sensor, it was revelatory - no missed hairs, and so easy to use. Since I cut my teeth with Gillette's spring-mounted blade system, I think it spoiled me for any other kind of razor. The only other one I like as well (and likely better) is the M3.

4. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

:signs011::happy096:

5. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

Spring mount is one hell of a revolution in blade technology. Excluding WS/Schick Quattro, if I go beyond two blades and it doesn't have any spring mount, I get poor shaving experience. Theoretically, I am still unable to understand the science behind spring mount blades and the mildness plus efficiency they offer. I would love to get in depth explanation behind this.

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

TSD at least as far as I know is an open forum for discussing shaving equipment, products and techniques of all types and all opinions are welcome! I answered the question. I'm sorry if my answer displeases you. I'm relaying my experiences for other shaver, many of whom have never used a TracII cart razor, to increase their fact base that's all.
    This question appeared under the safety razor heading on the main page, where I answered it. I did not peruse or seek it out. Perhaps if you only want answers couched a certain way or only certain facts/opinions made on a subject that should be explained when the question is asked or you could lobby TSD for a separate "Cart Razor" heading on the main page(DE,SE, Injector & Straight shaver opinions not allowed).
    But please don't "bust my chops" for expressing my opinion, relaying true facts and answering the question my way, it's a waste of your time.:)

One more thing just for the record "I do not dislike the TracII cart razor I dislike their IMO OUTRAGEOUS price and the terrible shave they give me that's all!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I click on the "new posts" button and read everything. TSD is a relatively small forum, as forums go, and I'm usually able to keep up.

The first cartridge system I owned was the Mach 3. If I remember correctly, it was a trial version, stuffed into the Sunday paper. That was also how I experienced Sun chips for the first time. Been a fan of Sun chips ever since. Can't say the same about the razor, though I liked it well enough at the time, even if I didn't like what it did to my face.

Before I too get lambasted for 'hating' on cartridge razors, I own and occasionally use my four Trac II's. I would use them more often, but the only blades I like in them are the pre-lubraglide strip variety, and those tend to be expensive (compared to DE blades) on the 'bay.

I'm of the opinion that razor design was perfected with the DE razor, and the only reason Gillette ever made cartridges was because their patents were about to run out.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I started with Trac II.
    I also usually read everything new on the shave den.
    if they had left the availability and pricing alone, it prolly still be using Trac II. but I'd be missing out on a big part of the enjoyability shaving has become.
    no hating, if you like em, more power to you.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  9. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

The patents of DE razor blades had expired long before the introduction of the Trac II....

10. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Maybe you could post factually rather than with biased negativity...

11. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Unbiased and factual :) ...

engrsaks likes this.
  12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Who said anything about blades? Almost all of the patents on the latest generation of Gillette's DE razors had run out by the late 1970's. Gillette introduced new models just before the old patents expired. It's a formula they've been following for over 100 years now.
    Oh for Pete's sake! 99% of wet shavers are biased towards one product or another, whether it be brushes, blades, razors or soaps. If we all just stuck to factual reporting, this place would be full of the sound of crickets.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    178-bplatoon likes this.
  13. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Well you weren't specific ;) There were patents on everything i.e. blade containers. I would be interested in what razor designs were patented and about to expire? Any examples? :)

14. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

My first (and last) cart came about in 80s. My wife brought it home to me saying it was much safer than my Gillette DE that I had been using since it was issued to me by the Red Cross. I used it and when I needed more carts she picked some up for me. They did not fit the handle, I went back to the store and bought a few packs of Wilkinson Sword DE blades. And that was the end of that. Have not looked back since then.

Dave

178-bplatoon likes this.
  15. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Flame wars and insults are so much better? :taunt002:

16. 178-bplatoon

Could you point out what I posted that was not factual or true? As far as my being biased against multibladed cart razors GUILTY! However I NEVER said you or anyone else should neither try or use any razor or shaving method they want. :)

17. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

My response to you will be also be immature and my last :happy097: ...

18. 178-bplatoon

:happy097: Ok with me..:happy088:

19. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I hear you talking, but your words don't mean a thing. I love the ignore function ... :signs068:

20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    [​IMG]
    Mods, clean up on aisle 3!

engrsaks likes this.