Your idea of a perfect shaving bowl surface is?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by S Barnhardt, Sep 13, 2019.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Could be why I prefer boar brushes? Let me know if you need one broken in quick, fast , & in a hurry!

Hembree, BlueShaver and brit like this.
  2. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

@brit is a really good sport.

Hembree and brit like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

:)after face lathering modern williams for 10+ years bowl lathering is a treat.but i do enjoy both..the nickel infused bowl rarely gets used..i like face lathering with a boar brush..

Hembree, Shaver X and Kilgore Trout like this.
  4. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

I don't think wood would be a good material for a lather bowl. The water and soap would beat it up, maybe even crack it.

Hembree, Shaver X and brit like this.
  5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Why not use a shaving mug? It is a soap holder and lathering bowl all in one, and some even have brush holders. For those who use cream instead of soap, just use the empty shaving mug as a lathering bowl. That always worked very well for me. Using a shaving mug with a textured bottom instead resulted in a less creamy, more airy lather. The lather from a smooth shaving mug gave better shaves.

6. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

Now that's something I've never heard, but I can see how that can work--interesting.

Hembree, brit and Shaver X like this.
  7. kumachan

kumachan Active Member

Those suribachi are nice though, agood suribachi can be very expensive. My wife has threatened to slice me up with my Feather razor blades if I even think of using her’s as a shave bowl.

Hembree and brit like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

i have some textured bowls and they are nice. my most used is an old stainless double walled bowl with a rounded internal smooth surface .fantastic lathers.. 20191111_161653.jpg

Hembree, Linuxguile and kumachan like this.
  9. Rawlings79

Rawlings79 New Member

I don’t know what ideal is, but I would agree with some others that textured is better than smooth. It helps with agitation of the soap and water and helps build lather better relative to a smooth surface in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hembree likes this.