Your ideal knot size?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Padron, Mar 28, 2008.

?

Your ideal brush knot size is?

1. 18mm or less

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 19mm

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  3. 20mm

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  4. 21mm

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  5. 22mm

18 vote(s)
    26.1%
  6. 23mm

16 vote(s)
    23.2%
  7. 24mm

10 vote(s)
    14.5%
  8. 25mm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 26mm

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  10. 28mm or more

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  1. Padron

Padron Active Member

Just curious,

what the popular vote of ideal brush knot size would be, my taste vary from day to day.....but if you had to pick...what size is best for you?

EDIT: My apologizes to Jeff to starting such a similar thread...missed your post

2. ZethLent

ZethLent Member

I prefer the bigger brushes, 26mm seems just about right. But I am not against even larger brushes.:D

3. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

To this point you have 5 different people with 5 different answers... Wet shavers are a diverse bunch!

I use the Bk4 daily and think it's a good size. It's also the largest brush I've ever used.

4. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

28 or larger for me.

Bigger is better yo.

5. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

The brushes that I use know range from 21-23mm and I am very :happy108 with them.

6. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

size DOES count, so 28+ for me :D

I also like my smaller brushes, though ;)

7. Will

Will Nevermind

Double Duce.

But I do want to try an 18.

8. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

21 -23mm

Depends on the "stuff"

9. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

My BK 4, Vulfix #2234 and the C&E best badger are all pretty close in size. The Vulfix is 22 mm, and that works pretty well for me.

10. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

This is probably a stupid question (sorry), but how do you measure knot size? Or *do* you measure knot size, or is it something that is a tech. spec. that you should find out before purchasing?

James.

11. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

The knot size is the diameter of the hole in the handle. You really have to have both knot size and loft to judge whether the brush is for you though. The loft is the length of hair protruding from the handle. For example, if you have a 23mm knot with a 60mm loft, the brush will be more flexible that if the loft were only 50mm.

12. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Thanks Michael. The loft/knot relationship makes sense. Have you noticed that the more you find out about something, the worse the relevant AD becomes....

James.

13. doleeo

doleeo New Member

I like a semi big brush but with a short loft.

My favorite brush is a Dan Capshaw custom brush that has a 25mm knot but a loft of 50 which I think makes the brush feel smaller than what it is.

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, doleeo!

15. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I have no idea what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

16. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I voted 23 mm but I'm switching to 24 mm. I've been using a Rooney Super in Medium and it has been fantastic!

17. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Voted 21, as I think that's my favorite........but I enjoy using anything from 19-24mm

18. xChris

xChris Member

I've got quite a few brushes in all sorts of sizes - 19 to 30mm. However, lately, I've been hovering around 23mm (with a +/- 1mm deviation for variety).

19. rwb

rwb Member

dan capshaw 28mm it is just right for pepole with big hands 55mm total length it is just stiff enough to make lather in bowl or on face .

20. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Mine is 22mm to 25 mm.I do mostly face lathering now and I find these sizes the perfects for my lathering technique.