Your least favorite open comb DE razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by AwNix, May 2, 2012.

1. AwNix

AwNix Member

For me it's the Richwood. Just didn't like the shave and the longer comb design. Ended up selling it.

I have a NEW Bostonian though w/ a similar comb and it's a pretty good razor.

2. andyr

andyr Member

I prefer my Gillette NEW short comb to the long comb. The long comb is a little too mild.

3. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

least favorite? the Gillette Sheraton. It was far too mild for me. It's the only twist to open open comb I've ever encountered. I wanted to like it so badly, and was so disappointed when it wasn't what I wanted.

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The very earliest, shorter toothed ones.

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Any variation of the Gillette NEW.

I much prefer just about anything else.

6. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Gem Micromatic so far. Some day I hope to like it.

7. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

The Gillette New's but I really enjoy the Gillette Old.

8. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I have an old style Gillette open comb, that I have not found the right blade for it yet.

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    My least favorite is my German Osmo 4 piece travel razor. I get better shaves from it than from any other razor I own, but it's my least favorite open comb razor I own because it's the only open comb razor I own. If you start a new thread about most favorite open comb razors, this guy will end up there as well.:)

10. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

:happy093:

11. Blobster

Blobster Member

Like your signature! Given the predominance of Yanks on shaving forums in general I'm surprised I haven't seen it more often. But on the other hand who owns only one razor and more importantly only one open comb? That's just sheer madness. You should spend a few guineas and buy some more.

My least favourite, not a DE admittedly, is the Micromatic Open Comb. I think I'd prefer getting shaved by a barber with multiple tooth absesses. I disliked it so much I PIFed it away as soon as possible. What would Ben have thought of that?

Don't think I've got a least favourite DE.

12. Sargon

Sargon Well-Known Member

I wanted to like the OCMM, but didn't. I like my gillette old, and my merkur travel OC razor, and I love my 1912, but I just never could love the ocmm.

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    What? I only own one open comb, true, but that is not by any means my only razor. I own ten razors, which is probably 7 more than Franklin owned at one time. 1 straight, 2 rolls and the rest are safety razors.:D

14. Blobster

Blobster Member

Yeah I've got an old (ABC) which I use every time to trim around the mo, a fat handled new and a Souplex which is a very nice English made OC. Don't use the latter two very often and generally stick to SEs. Am a bit wary of OCs in general but the MMOC is definitely a complete downer in my books. Not too keen on 1912s either which are really to all intent and purpose open comb.

15. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

The German Bakelite, supposedly WW2 Wehrmacht issue. It has not been an easy razor to use, or like.
    I like the Gillette Old and the OCMM.
    Those are the only other OCs I own.
    I tried an R41 and liked it. I may get one someday. It definitely has a steeper learning curve than any razor I own, save for a straight.

16. anaguma

anaguma New Member

Gillette Slim adjustable. I just can't get it to give me a good shave.