Your number 1 Gillette razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BigMark, Oct 12, 2014.

1. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

2. jbennett

jbennett Member

Red tip. Might be my favorite ever.

Mr. Droid likes this.
  3. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

This is close but it's gotta be my 59 Fatboy.

4. BJV

BJV Active Member

Ditto. My 1962 Slim just has a certain "sophistication" about it, and I feel a certain loyalty whenever I use it. (God but I hope my wife never reads these damn posts of mine!)

RainmanJH and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

That's the same year I have (birth year) the slim is just a well built classic piece of Americana.

6. BJV

BJV Active Member

'62 was my high school grad year and the year I entered the USAF. The 'Slim' was the razor I took into basic training.

JBSharp, RaZorBurn123 and BigMark like this.
  7. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

I'm gratified to be the first to claim the classic ball-end Tech; mine was my grandfather's. It consistently is the most pleasing of all my razors. I do admit that I haven't tried the fat handle or any other Tech variations.

8. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I'm at the point of drawing up a new schedule. One Old Type, three '56 Super Speed Blue Tips, Three '56 Super Speed Red tip (one of each of the three are cased with a full pack of period correct blades) two T.V. Specials SuperSpeeds, one was my gramps, the other my dad's, both with cases, a cased with a pack of Super Blues Fat Boy ,F1 and dad's Schick Krona. I shave whilst channelling spirits. A movie about old haunted razors by next Halloween. Gotta place a call to James Earl Jones and Donald Pleascence. rambleheimers, sorry.

9. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Well it's still the Pre War Tech. This morning loaded with a Voskhod and scraping off some Mitchell's Wool Fat. Great day tater.

10. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

My favorite Gillette is a 1955 Diplomat... but overall, I shave more often with rotations of my Super Speed family- Red, Blue, Flare and '40s. For some reason I get more audible feedback with those guys, and that pleases me.

youngunn likes this.
  11. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

I can't really say I have a favourite as I don't enjoy them that much. However, if I had to choose one, I think the Single Ring would have to be it as I find the open-comb ones to be much better shavers than the closed-combs, for me. :)

12. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

Of the ones I have I would have to say my 49 Milord. Love that razor.

13. Dtram

Dtram Member

My short Black Beauty is amazing. The Classic Arisocrat is a close second.

14. marbert

marbert Well-Known Member

Love my New LC. The Aristocrat I just acquired has given me three smooth shaves and I really like the balance on that razor, so it's making this a tough call.

15. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

I would have to say my 1940 Milord, but only because I can't yet shave with my newly-acquired '41 Ranger Tech. (Due to it being "NO-Variation NOVember".)

That said, it's a close race. My pre-war Fat Handle Tech in nickel and my birth-year (1967) black-handled flare tip are both favorites of mine right now.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  16. RainmanJH

RainmanJH Member

Was my Slim Adjustable, but my recently acquired Fatboy is beginning to edge it out.